Which puppy do you like best?

• Blue Dapple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chocolate Dapple

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Driven

I am facing a difficult decision. I can decide to get a blue dapple puppy when he is ready on the 27th or I can decide to get an 11 week old chocolate dapple puppy who has already been started on house breaking and crate training on Sunday. Both are boys from separate good breeders. The blue dapple is a semi longhair and the breeder said his coat will be dull looking and look like a clipped coat compared to other longhairs that have nice coats because the blue dapple gene is a weak color gene compared to other dapples. When I visited him his coat felt very course and not very soft. So I either pick up the chocolate dapple on Sunday or put a deposit down on the blue dapple puppy. So I have to decide fast ugh. :-/ Which puppy do you like best? Here are some pics of both.

image.jpg
Blue dapple

Last edited:

Penny

I would never support a breeder who breeds for dilute colors which are blue and isabella. These dilute coats will have color dilution alopecia which starts to show after 3 years old. Typically a breeder will charge more for this fancy color but a few years done the road the poor family will have to deal with this incurable skin/coat problem. Don't be fooled by the story that their female doesn't have it when she's likely under 3 years old. You will probably see poor coat quality already showing on the ears, especially easy to see on a long coated doxie. It can totally be avoided by careful breeding. Shame on those breeders who try for the dilution colors and shame on them for charging extra for this 'fancy' color.

Info, link below...
There is gradual onset of a dry, dull, brittle and poor quality hair coat. Hair shafts break and regrowth is poor, resulting in a progressive, partial, patchy alopecia and stubble that precedes a more complete hair loss.

Lesions are usually more severe on the dorsal trunk.

Chronic cases can show hyperpigmentation, and scaling and secondary bacterial infections can occur.

Lesions will be limited to the dilute-coloured parts of the coat in multi-coloured animals.

There is no effective treatment for this disorder. The disease is progressive and incurable, but some palliative measures can be taken early on in the course of the disease.

Hair loss due to shaft fracture can be minimised by avoiding excessive brushing and shampooing. Moisturisers may help make the hair less brittle and gentle bathing with antimicrobial and keratinolytic products can be tailored to the needs of the individual case.

Folliculitis should be treated with systemic antimicrobial therapy.

If scaling is severe, oral vitamin A or synthetic retinoids may help.

A high-quality diet and essential fatty acids might also be beneficial.

From Colour Dilution Alopecia - WikiVet
If the chocolate dapple is available from another breeder, I would choose him. If I see a breeder has dilutes, it disqualifies them in my mind from purchasing even a non-dilute dog.

Double checking the date, I think you've already made your decision.