When to start training?

JPsMOM

Hi there! My 8 week old comes home this week, and I know potty training should start right away, but is there a "too soon" to start other types of training? Like obedience, or agility? I don't want to miff things up or confuse him by starting too soon. The only other dog I have personally owned was a boxer, and he was an already year-old rescue so I have no experience here =) This guy is a rescue too, but he was only a few weeks old when they rescued him and many others out of a mill so I wouldn't think he would have any Ill-effects from that to be mindful of.

Sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Nell

Training should start from day one, pups are like children and are a sponge to new information and experiences. Your puppy will be learning about his world from the moment he comes home so its probably best to set the ground rules from the start. Patience and consistency is the key, again like kids puppies like routine. Dachshunds are VERY clever and have a tendency to be wilful at times so its especially important to be a good pack leader otherwise they soon learn to be naughty! lol!

Luckily dachshunds are very food orientated and this helps a lot with the training, they can also instinctively recognise the difference between your pleased voice and the low tone (never shouting) disappointed voice for mishaps.

The other thing to take advantage of while your pup is small is their basic instinct to follow you, if you use this to your advantage in a SAFE place you will find they naturally develop the habit of staying close and off lead work will be easier in the future.

As for the agility you need to be very careful not to put any strain on young bones, muscles and joints but this doesn't mean they cant learn the basic commands of stay and come etc and this will hold them in good stead for when they can start to negotiate low obstacles etc. Very basic agility can begin at six months with more athletic work at over a year.

Do keep us updated, they are such fun little dogs with such a wonderful sense of humour, he will steal your heart and life will never be the same...........

JPsMOM

Thank you for the info and insight! Very helpful! I'm ridiculously excited and don't have a lot of people to share that excitement with, so I assure you, I'll be sharing my updates! Lol

Sent via tapatalk

Penny

I have never adopted a puppy but I look forward to seeing photos and hearing about the shananigans that will be happening at your place.

As a dog owner, we need to train our dog from different tricks and one of them is the potty training. You can talk or train your dog on the first day he came to your home and that is normal. :)