When to spay?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
ok I wrote a reply twice... both times I lost it... I dont have time to write it out again.. so here's the fine points:

Yes I would absolutely look into a vasectomy for my next male

I would also look into Zeutering (Zinc Neutering) if it becomes widely used by then

I would be very upset if my intact dogs were discriminated against, and would fight them tooth and nail... what about show dogs? working dogs? police dogs? stupid!!!

Neutering should not replace training, ever. If you cant handle intact males, why would you think you can handle a neutered one? Ollie was neutered at 6 months and shows all the intact male behaviours that people think neutering stops. It's training, not physically altering your dog.

Ok that's the shorthand version LOL

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Ya, it's very cool! Not widely available, but I'll certainly be looking into it more in depth if does become available :) From what I could find, it lowers hormones, but doesn't stop production completely, like castration does. So it's supposed to lower the sex drive (which a vasectomy doesn't do), but shouldn't affect health the way castration does... we'll see.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD6xDxB57s]Ark Sciences Zinc Neutering - YouTube[/ame]

New Method Neuters Your Dog Without Removing His Testicles

Non-surgical Neutering -- FAQ -- Ark Sciences ( Zinc Gluconate Neutralized by Arginine--FDA approved as Neutersol in 2003)

Doxmom

Thanks, All

Thanks for your informed and differing responses. Interesting that the opinions are so different, yet all based on your first hand experiences.

I feel as if I can wait to neuter my 7 month old mini-male until he's about a year. The vet's assistant mentioned I should do it right away. But I've decided to wait until he's a year old and developed a bit more. He's somewhat underweight and I'd like him to settle in first.

OMG - I just watched the zinc neutering video. That was amazing. Will have to ask my vet about it..

Last edited: