What could this be?

Kirp

Hi, everyone. I'm ridiculously worried, and currently have no way to take my dog to see a vet...though I plan to find a way tomorrow.

Yesterday I noticed my miniature dachshund's stomach was extremely hard. All of yesterday and today it's been the same...but when he's laying down, it gets soft again. If I pick him up or he moves around on his own, it gets very hard and he starts grunting in pain. He's still showing a lot of interest in food (I fed him some canned pumpkin, chicken broth, and a tiny bit of shredded chicken, and he was begging like he always does), drinking water, and even running around and barking like he always does (even now he just jumped up from his nap and ran after someone barking...a usual game for them). Today I tried taking him for a walk, and he was all for it until we were outside, then he started randomly sitting down and grunting for a few seconds, before running after me wagging his tail and acting like himself again.

I should mention he's a little hog and tends to swallow his food whole in his rush to eat it, but this has never happened before. Anyone else deal with something like this? Is he just constipated? Could it be back problems (for awhile if I rubbed his back along the side of his spine, his stomach would get soft again, now he just glares at me for hurting him)? Would he even be running and jumping around if it was his back? :(

ktshickle

DoxieLover
How old is he? I had a far less energetic breed older dog whos tummy got hard but she wouldnt play and run. She would actually limp. But it turned out to be constipation. Has he been doing his buisiness normally?

Kirp

He'll be five years old in a few months.

He was running around so fast I couldn't catch him earlier, so I figured he was better. Everything was fine for a bit...he had tired himself out so was sleeping around the same time he always does.
But since he hasn't gone at all since all of this started yesterday, I tried to take him outside again one more time. Sadly he suddenly got really wobbly and dragged his legs after coming back inside. =( He does still have feeling in his legs...just can't stand too well sometimes. Earlier he did seem to be favoring one leg, but I assumed it was because he got a splinter in one toe that I didn't notice right away. I have him laying down right now. Plan to try to take him to the vet tomorrow.
This is killing me...

kcast

Take him to the vet asap. If you can't find a 24 hr one tonight, then first thing in the morning. It doesn't sound like back issues, could be constipation, but the concern is impaction.
Do you give rawhide or any type of dense treat of that type?
Or does he like to chew on toys that could be ripped up and ingested, any thing that he could have gotten to and swallowed missing??
Has any vomiting occurred since you noticed an issue?

If he is not having bowel movements (or even if he does have one but it is abnormal, or any blood is in it) then he could be impacted. If he is then the more time goes on, the more difficult it becomes to get the obstruction out, and therefore the more serious his condition gets. It is possible that something else is going on but the fact that you're boy is in pain and acting abnormal for an extended period is a clear sign that something is very wrong. I hope for the best and his speedy recovery!

Kirp

He can't stand at all now...just drags his legs. Would he be doing that if he was constipated? He managed to go a tiny bit yesterday and today. Just like rabbit poops, though.

I plan to see if I can get him to the vet tomorrow...or even tonight if my only ride gets back soon. Is there something I can give him for pain? Would part of a baby aspirin be safe?

kcast

I have never heard of impaction causing immobility in limbs. Regardless, get to the vet as soon as you possibly can. This is not an issue to be taken lightly. I am not sure what the cause of his issue is, but having trouble using limbs and lack of normal bowel movements are not good signs. It could be something serious and he needs to be checked out immediately to prevent possible paraysis.

Kirp

Yes, I plan to take him as soon as possible. But right now I'm stuck way out in the middle of nowhere with no ride to the vet. He's sleeping now, and has been for awhile, so I'm trying to just leave him and let him rest. Not much I can do right now but totally freak out and hope he'll be ok once the vet sees him. =(

Kirp

In case anyone wants an update - Got him to the vet this morning. It's a ruptured disc. They gave him two shots of steroids, and two others. He's already doing a lot better, but is pretty frustrated that he can't walk around. He can stand on his own again if someone lifts up his rear end, so that's a good sign.

I'm keeping him laying down, though the vet said it doesn't matter if he tries to move around or not. If he's not doing a lot better in four days, they want to give him a horribly expensive surgery.

Steph

Aw, that's so sad. To quote Sara above me...

"Poor little guy. all of our worst nightmare"

Keep us updated.

Kirp

Will do...

I tried so hard to keep him from hurting his back the entire time I've had him, but he's such a hyper little thing...

The vet seemed completely confident that he would make a full recovery, so hopefully with enough time and rest he'll be back to his insane little self again. Then I'll work hard to get him to actually realize that he's not allowed to jump on or off of things.

ktshickle

DoxieLover
Aww. Im sorry to hear that. Ive read in a few places that glucosamine and chondroitin are supposed to help. Im not sure how much so after the fact. I posted a link about it in a thread about back issues if you want to check it out. I also found a couple of foods with glucosamine it them. Let me know if you're interested.

Kirp

I'd read something about that before, but didn't look into it much...think I will now. Thanks for the suggestion.

His stomach is a bit too sensitive to most kinds of dog foods to switch him to one just because it has glucosamine in it, though, so I think giving him some separately would work out better.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I'd read something about that before, but didn't look into it much...think I will now. Thanks for the suggestion.

His stomach is a bit too sensitive to most kinds of dog foods to switch him to one just because it has glucosamine in it, though, so I think giving him some separately would work out better.
Dog food doesn't have enough in it to be effective anyway :) I use a supplement for mine. I never bother with foods that have it in.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
How much are they supposed to have? I read 500mg a day but i'd love to hear what you're giving yours
This is what I give mine. It's a Canadian product, not likely to be found where you are, but you can buy it online. I use the liquid form, just 1/2 a squirt once a day on their food, per doxie.
Re-Gen Max

vizzla

Sounds like something blocking his stomach. Maybe food if hes not been eating something bad? Take him to a vet.

Kirp

Would fish oil be good to give him along with the glucosamine/chondroitin? I read somewhere that it helps with inflammation.

ktshickle

DoxieLover
This is what I give mine. It's a Canadian product, not likely to be found where you are, but you can buy it online. I use the liquid form, just 1/2 a squirt once a day on their food, per doxie.
Re-Gen Max
Ok one more question.. The food i have says its got 400mg. But im not sure if they're talking about per cup or what. It seems like alot per cup. Any ideas? :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Ok one more question.. The food i have says its got 400mg. But im not sure if they're talking about per cup or what. It seems like alot per cup. Any ideas? :)
Nope I really have no idea what they're talking about there :) But it cant hurt to supplement anyway, especially since he's now recovering from injury.