The goodest boy

Linguines Dad

Good day my fellow wiener enthusiasts,
We have a 3 year old black and tan miniature and as of late, when someone comes to the door or is working outside on our property, he barks fiercely and if we try to pick him up to comfort him, he gets aggressive. Part of that aggression can be a nip/bite or attempt at it anyways. He hasn’t bit me but has bit my fiancé. He has snapped at me when i have gone to try to take him away from the window but thats been the extent of it - so far.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you overcome it?

We have been recommended to cover the window as his protective nature is coming out and he is “doing his primal job” but we dont want to take away his window time as that just seems cruel. He is such a good gentle boy for the most part and is the sweetest most timid little guy in public, but when hes at home in his domain, the mini beast emerges.

CaseyKC

I had a similar problem with AnnieMoon. She would bark in a ferocious manner whenever the door bell rang or whenever another person (other than me) entered our home and would keep it up until they were gone. She acted like a complete maniac, barking her foolish head off. I was told she was resource guarding both me and our DWELLING (home.) She only acted this way in our own home, both year round home and our vacation home. If I visited a friend's home or was any other place else with her, she would sit calmly on my lap. We took two eight week classes of good behavior but she still barked in my home, I hired a dog behaviorist and he quit before the hour was up. If someone came to my house to visit, we couldn't have a conversation unless I took her upstairs and crated her. I tried a vibrating collar, NOT A SHOCK collar and it worked for a few weeks and then she got used to it and ignored the vibrations and began to bark at again at anyone entering the house. I heard about a no bark training device and purchased one on Amazon. It emits a sound that humans cannot hear, but after a few times using it she stopped barking. I now can have friends come to visit and have had a quiet home for the last few months. I have since purchased another one to keep by the front door and plan to buy another one for my car because she barks like crazy when I try to order food at a drive thru restaurant. Now all I have to do is show the device to her without turning it on and she is instantly and blessedly quiet.

Linguines Dad

Thanks so much for this Kasey. Would you be able to share the link to that device? I am willing to try this for sure. Aside from just the barking I’d like to figure out how to address the anxiety he experiences. For no reason we can figure out. He is very shy and appears scared when we take him out in public. Tail between legs always unless interacting with another dog he is interested in. It’s strange because we take him virtually everywhere.

Linguines Dad

I had a similar problem with AnnieMoon. She would bark in a ferocious manner whenever the door bell rang or whenever another person (other than me) entered our home and would keep it up until they were gone. She acted like a complete maniac, barking her foolish head off. I was told she was resource guarding both me and our DWELLING (home.) She only acted this way in our own home, both year round home and our vacation home. If I visited a friend's home or was any other place else with her, she would sit calmly on my lap. We took two eight week classes of good behavior but she still barked in my home, I hired a dog behaviorist and he quit before the hour was up. If someone came to my house to visit, we couldn't have a conversation unless I took her upstairs and crated her. I tried a vibrating collar, NOT A SHOCK collar and it worked for a few weeks and then she got used to it and ignored the vibrations and began to bark at again at anyone entering the house. I heard about a no bark training device and purchased one on Amazon. It emits a sound that humans cannot hear, but after a few times using it she stopped barking. I now can have friends come to visit and have had a quiet home for the last few months. I have since purchased another one to keep by the front door and plan to buy another one for my car because she barks like crazy when I try to order food at a drive thru restaurant. Now all I have to do is show the device to her without turning it on and she is instantly and blessedly quiet.
Hi Casey, would you be able to tell me what device you purchased off Amazon to manage the barking?

CaseyKC

This is not the exact one I purchased, but is also made by DOG CARE and is the same brand as mine, I couldn't find the exact ones I have. Mine was just under $20.00. Maybe Amazon is out of my particular model. Sorry that I had to copy the whole thing, but my computer skills are not very good.

CaseyKC

I hope the anti bark device is working for you!

We have recently had numerous sightings of coyotes in the neighborhood, especially in mornings and dusk when people are walking their dogs. Once I heard about the coyotes, I have been taking Annie out to do her business in my yard on a leash, although she never gets more than 10 feet away from me off leash. A few days ago, Annie was doing her business, when I thought I saw a scruffy, skinny dog skulking across the field in my back yard. I immediately scooped up Annie and took her into the house because I thought it might be a coyote. Now, as an extra safety measure, I take my anti barking device out with us when Annie has to go out. I think this might give me a few seconds extra to scoop Annie up and run into the house if I point it at what I think may be a coyote, so maybe this is an extra benefit. In the meantime, I purchased a boot tray and have fake grass in it by by the door so if Annie isn't finished if I have to scoop her up, she can finish her business in the safety of the back porch. This is just a theory because I haven't seen the dog or coyote since I last saw it in the field., but you can be sure I am looking all around me while Annie is finding the perfect spot. The boot tray on the porch may also be helpful for Annie to use when we get deep snow because I won't have to shovel a place for Annie to do business. She hates snow that touches her belly.