Teeth falling out

gpmum2

Bernie is now nearly 6 months old and has been losing his teeth for the last 4 weeks. First all the front ones fell out, he was all gummy reminded me of the KS1 kids at school :). Now it is all the big back & side ones. They seem so large I worry about him swallowing them. No wonder he is a fussy eater with his sore gums.

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Wow, is it normal for Dachshunds to lose teeth so late? Most dogs have a full set of adult teeth by 5.5 - 6 months.

Most dogs eat their baby teeth... infact with all the puppies I've fostered, I've never found a tooth. It doesn't hurt them to swallow their teeth, even the big ones.

gpmum2

Wow, is it normal for Dachshunds to lose teeth so late? Most dogs have a full set of adult teeth by 5.5 - 6 months.

Most dogs eat their baby teeth... infact with all the puppies I've fostered, I've never found a tooth. It doesn't hurt them to swallow their teeth, even the big ones.
I have never found any teeth as far as I can remember from my other dogs, but I have a little pile on the mantle piece at the moment. I think he is crunching on a stone and asking to put it down and out pops a tooth. I thought it was nearer the 4 months they lost them...maybe he is a late developer ..lol

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I only found one tooth from Sam an Molly either they ate them or the Vacum got em.

kimmie

well i dont remember that many falling out with my babies or either i just didnt notice all of them.. if that many fell out they must have eaten them or like said before the vaccum got them.. but they brought 3 of them to me between the two of them..:eek: