Teeth brushing

elsa&fenski

I have been 'brushing' my two dashies' teeth with just my finger - nothing on it because I'm afraid of the dogs swallowing things - I'm wondering if a brush would be more effective in removing plaque?

love'laska

If you go to a pet store, they sell doggie-specific tooth paste (human toothpast isn't so great for them) and they usually come with a toothbrush. I got a set of three at petsmart.

love'laska

I brush my girls' teeth every night. I have a finger brush and they tolerate it more than a real dog toothbrush.
There's a finger brush in my set, too. It's what I'm going to use as soon as my girl is big enough that my fingers can actually go into her mouth. :p she's only 8 1/2 weeks right now, so no teeth brushing yet. but soon we'll go to brushing every morning.

Penny

Hi and Welcome from Manitoba!
At our Dollarama, they sell kid's toothbrushes for 2 for a dollar. That's what we use with doggie toothpaste. The brush will absolutely do a better job. Good for you that you're going to brush teeth. So many dachshunds have awful teeth and it's not too bad to brush, plus it's so expensive to have it done at the vets although the tartar needs to be cleaned once in a while.

Hope to see pics of your sweeties soon when you have a chance.

crystalclear1027

We brush our Doxi's teeth after they eat their dinner. I bought baby tooth brushes for them, and use baby toothpaste, they don't mind at all. We stand them one at a time in the kitchen sink, that way it is easier to rinse their mouth.

jarredfeet

We brush our Doxi's teeth after they eat their dinner. I bought baby tooth brushes for them, and use baby toothpaste, they don't mind at all. We stand them one at a time in the kitchen sink, that way it is easier to rinse their mouth.
Good for your dogs to let you brush them on the sink, here we have to buy some gnaw toys and raw meaty bones to help on cleaning teeth we can't remove as Red just doesn't like tooth brushing much.