Strange facts

Nell

I have just watched a documentary about the lives of dogs and evidently if your dog is right handed (you can tell whether your dog is right or left handed by the leg they lead with when they go from sitting to walking) and the swirls in their coat go anticlockwise they are more likely to be calm and easier to train! They reckon this has been proven by the fact that more dogs with these traits pass the test to become guide dogs.

Also if you yawn and your dog yawns back it means you have a good bond with your dog. I'll try when mine wake up......

HilyBee

So neat! Now I'm going to be watching my dog walk to see what dominant paw he is. hehe. He yawns with me or because of me ALL the time. He also sneezes when I do too. lol

HilyBee

He's left paw dominant ( I think.. lol). I keep having him follow me around while I walk backwords.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Most people who trick train can figure out the dominant side easily. Ollie is right "pawed" I cant remember which Mouse is.

sherlock

I've heard before that generally (not always, but usually) females are left-pawed and males right. Or maybe the other way around. But I think that was based on teaching shake, not just walking.

Nell

I have been trying the yawning and sneezing thing and I think mine just think I have lost the plot! lol.

Connie is definitely right handed and her swirls are anticlockwise! Mr Woods (my rescue) keeps alternating the leg he starts off with?? He really struggles anyway, he has the frame of a border terrier on dachshund legs (bless!) When people meet him they think he is old because he wobbles from side to side and he isn't three yet. He really is quite disabled when he walks but manages much better when he can run and can keep up with dogs twice his size!

I really worry about his future though. I try to keep his weight down as much as possible to help him but he really does have a large frame and you can often feel his ribs under all that fur.

He has a heart of true gold though and I am sooo lucky to have him

babysis

That is funny! I watched Baby one day and she is a lefty...not surprised she used to be massively hyper!