Stomach issues/ worried mom!

CathylovesVinny

Hello there,
I'm new to this group and wondered if anyone can please offer some advice. My 4 1/2 year old dachshund Vinny has been having stomach issues lately. In the past month alone we've been at the vet three times with diarrhea and vomiting, and last night I rushed him to the vet as he seemed very uncomfortable sitting or laying down (would stand right back up again). His stomach was also tense and so I feared it was his back causing the problem on this occasion, but the vet did a full physical exam and only when he touched Vinny's stomach did he react. He listened to Vinny's tummy with a stethoscope and said it was "churning" but did not give him anything, saying he thought Vinny would be fine by today. I'm going back to the vet tonight as Vinny is no better - still uncomfortable, lethargic and just not himself. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms with their dachshunds? He is allowing me to pick him up, pet him etc, he's going to the bathroom fine, he groans a little when I rub his tummy, but he isn't playing or acting normally at all and is pretty listless. He has been on the same prescription diet for years, and as far as I know hasn't eaten anything bad. Are there any tests I should do? I would love to get to the bottom of what is happening to him so that I can help him to feel better :(

Penny

No wonder you're so worried! I don't have any advice but we're going to pray for him that it gets resolved soon. Keep us posted.

CathylovesVinny

Checking in to see if there's news.
Hello Penny,
Thank you so much for being so kind. So, my instincts about the problem being his back were right! :( I went back to the vet last night and we decided to do X-Rays, and they found calcification between two of his discs :( . And they knew there was a problem even before that as when they stretched them out for his X-Rays he screamed in pain ( I was in the waiting room, and it was the worst sound I have ever heard). Goodness knows how they missed the pain in the previous exam, maybe Vinny was just being very brave. But in any case, I'm very glad they know what the problem is, and this is why his stomach was so tense. They gave him a steroid injection and he is now on painkillers and minimal activity for the next week. If anyone has any tips on any ways to help manage this, please let me know. I am so careful with him , he has ramps, doesn't do stairs, his weight is good, he has glucosamine every day..anything else I can do to help manage this calcification? Thanks again for checking in, and your prayers are very much appreciated!!

Penny

Have you been to dodgerslist? It's a website that supports families going through spinal cord injuries in their doxies.

All things IVDD: Dodgerslist core readings on canine disc disease

Just be aware that he could still become paralyzed so personally with that kind of pain I would have my doxie on a lot longer crate rest than 1 week. You've done everything you could and it's just how it goes sometimes. Out of my 4 doxies I've had 3 get the wobbly walk. Fortunately all recovered with meds and crate rest. Our very best wishes that you see a full recovery.

CathylovesVinny

Have you been to dodgerslist? It's a website that supports families going through spinal cord injuries in their doxies.

All things IVDD: Dodgerslist core readings on canine disc disease

Just be aware that he could still become paralyzed so personally with that kind of pain I would have my doxie on a lot longer crate rest than 1 week. You've done everything you could and it's just how it goes sometimes. Out of my 4 doxies I've had 3 get the wobbly walk. Fortunately all recovered with meds and crate rest. Our very best wishes that you see a full recovery.
Thank you Penny - I haven't checked out dodger's list but will do that now, and thank you for letting me know that, I will have him rest for longer. :( Such a worry, wish I could be in pain instead of him! Thank you for all of your support, will keep you posted.