Steps and/or Ramp?

Doxmom

Hi, All~

Most of you know I'm new to doxies. With all the information on their back problems, is it okay to have a ramp or steps by our bed or the couch? I'm wondering if the mini's could negotiate their way down safely.

I haven't had to use steps or a ramp before so any advice is appreciated!

We have ramps all over the house. Every couch and bed has a ramp. Our house is pier & beam and sits about 4' off the ground. We had a really long ramp built for the dogs to get into the back yard.

All of our dachshunds have used the ramps with no problems; the standard, the tweenie, and even the minnie.

It didn't take long for the dogs to get used to them, and I think they now prefer the ramps to jumping.

nola

My dad built Nola a ramp to get up to the bed, and there's small stairs to get to couches/chairs. She has no problems with them, and she's only 8-9lbs

melnal

Doxie Owner
Ramp Angle?

Can a ramp be too steep? My husband and I just adopted a 5yo dachshund. She's 18lbs and was a great jumper until this week when she injured her back. Now, while she is recovering, we are committed to getting ramps for access to the couch and bed.

I found this ramp Pet Studio Convertable Stairs/Ramp - 3 Steps | Wayfair

My husband is concerned that it might be too steep for her. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Penny

For the couch, we have a step for them to use, and they do. We just do not allow them on the bed, at all. One bump or bang in the house would send them flying off the bed to go bark, and that isn't worth the risk. My sis-in-law put her mattress right on the floor for her 2 b/ts, and that seems like a good idea. Why not?? lol

melnal

Doxie Owner
I totally understand the "flying off the bed" thing ;) So the ramp we are looking at turns into stairs, but I'm concerned about the steep angle of the ramp. Thoughts on that?

For the couch, we have a step for them to use, and they do. We just do not allow them on the bed, at all. One bump or bang in the house would send them flying off the bed to go bark, and that isn't worth the risk. My sis-in-law put her mattress right on the floor for her 2 b/ts, and that seems like a good idea. Why not?? lol

There are standards for human ramps, but for dogs, I think the only requirement is that they can get up and down.
With a bit of carpet, and their four wheel drive, the ramp can be steeper than most people could use.

I build the ramps around our house using scraps of lumber and carpet remnents. A bit of plywood for the sides and top, and some 2x2s for bracing and frame. Put together with screws. Then wrap the carpet around the plywood used for the top, using glue and screws to hold everything in place.

The dogs use the ramps 85% of the time. The usually prefer ramps to jumping, although we will sometimes have to redirect them to the ramp when they hear a noise that deserves a good barking.

Our grand daughter uses the ramp as a slide when she visits. Although I must say she can't get up much speed.