Standard vs Mini dachshund-housebreaking

suemy4

Hello,

Does anyone know if it easier to housebreak a standard dachshund? Our mini has been very difficult and I was wondering if it has to with the size of the dog. Smaller dogs seem to be harder to train in my opinion. Thanks!

Sue

GJBain

Hello,

Does anyone know if it easier to housebreak a standard dachshund? Our mini has been very difficult and I was wondering if it has to with the size of the dog. Smaller dogs seem to be harder to train in my opinion. Thanks!

Sue
I have had both standard and mini and they are both the same if you ask me.

Lupita

I have both, and both took a lot of patience to house-train. The good news is, once they get it, they like to stick to their routines, so they will be quite reliable as long as you are consistent.

Hunter's Parade

I've found it pretty hard to housebreak a dachshund.I've had three and housebreaking is the worst in this breed.Couple of days ago my puppy(7months)popped in my bed,while I was sleeping,right where my feet are,you can imagine how I found out that there is a poo in my bed.Wasn't nice,not nice at all.Now she is not allowed in bed when I sleep,except in mornings when she is allowed to come cuddle a little,but she still managed to pee in my bed while I wasn't home...So she will have kennel where she will stay while I'm gone.I've already thrown out one bed and multiple blankets because of my previous dachshund puppies,just to teach them that we sleep in bed,and NEVER use it as toilet,so they can sleep with me,I'm not going thru this for the third time.I really love them sleeping with me,but sorry,little fellas,I'm not going to sleep in your toilet.If you like it,you can pee and poop in your own bedding.I don't want to be involved in this..madness.The poo put an end to dogs in my bed,except for the two that have been sleeping there for almost 3 years now and have proven to even jump out to vomit if they have to.None of my next dogs will be allowed in bed.The poo...that was just gross
By the way,I have three standards.

nerdrock

I have a standard and a mini, they are only allowed to sleep with us occasionally. Sometimes that's a couple of times a week, other times just on Saturday's. They always sleep with us Saturday night, I work Monday to Saturday and need a good night's sleep. Saturday night it doesn't matter because I don't have to work ok Sunday and can sleep in.

Sadie peed on our bed a couple of times but it was when she was having some major urinary issues. We got a cover for the mattress but it's not something I would put up with for a long time and if I found poop there would be no way, lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk