Smelly Ears/Ear cleaning

HilyBee

Recently our puppy's ears started to smell, and smell BAD. They smell like he's been rolling around in something. I can't pinpoint the smell. We've checked both ears and there isn't any discharge, bleeding, oozing, sores/scabbing, etc. He doesn't appear to have an ear infection BUT we are going to have it checked out anyway. Anyone ever have this before?

We clean his ears with a solution from the vet twice a month (what they recommend) and cotton pads around the outside of his ear. How do you keep your pup's ears clean?

schierling

My long haired guy gets that and it is yeast growing in his ears. It's all nice and warm under those little brown fuzzy ears. The solution is "the solution" in his ears once per week and it seems to keep it under control. I feel for you yeast can really smell bad.

Two nights ago I noticed PD's ears smelled really bad, and wanted to wash them out.

A closer inspection with my nose (yucchh), and I realized it really did smell like something dead. Then I remembered the same smell in our back yard somewhere earlier in the day.

He had been rolling around, scenting himself. A little soap and water around the face and he was a much more pleasant dog to be around.

HilyBee

He isn't as smelly today after I cleaned his ears thoroughly and washed his face/neck really well. I'm wondering if he got into something as well? We live in a gate community type of area but there are plenty of little critters running around. Hm... He didn't smell like dead animal just like something moldy perhaps. Not sure what caused it. We scheduled a vet appointment for tomorrow so we can have him checked out. Make sure he isn't infected with anything. o_O

schierling

Does he have tiny little black particles, almost like dust in his ears. My vet told me that was yeast. I always look for that first.

HilyBee

Not that I can see. His ears don't appear to have anything in them, just smell funny. That is why I'm concerned. I think it might be deep inside his ear not just on the immediate inside.

HilyBee

Just got back from the vet. Ears are clean - no infection! yay! Vet said he must have rolled in something because she agreed they smelled terribly but couldn't find the source inside his ear. Came home with some stronger cleaning solution and a shampoo that is for extra tough odor. Hoping these do the trick. :)