Seasonal Allergies

JustAiks

Hey everyone. I'm new to the area here.

I recently adopted a two year old, short haired dachshund from a rescue league.

All has been great, except... He was diagnosed with seasonal allergies.

Ben has been continuously licking and scratching his arm pits and area inside of his hind legs on either side of his privates.

He's such a great, calm boy otherwise.

Our vet, who I believe is excellent, prescribed Tameril, for seven days which seemed to help, but cautioned that its a steroid not intended for extended use. This was two months ago. Since then, I've been combating this losing battle with Sulfadene, Dermalone ointment (when he breaks the skin), and Benadryl.

I bathe him once a month using Earthbath All Natural Oatmeal and Aloe and he gets one dose of medium-size K9 Advantix II.

As for food, he gets no table food, and his diet consists of 5/8-3/4 of a cup of Fromm Four Star Nutritionals food (rotating through recipes).

Can anyone recommend a natural supplement maybe? I'm considering taking him off the Fromm's and putting him on a raw food diet that I'd make myself.

I beg your pardon for the pic below... I thought about covering with a blanket but then it covers the rash too...:confused:

I'm grasping for ideas here just to get this little guy some relief. Please help. :(

Thanks,
Justin

Attachments

HilyBee

Have you figured out what is causing his allergies yet?

Switching food to raw/home cooked would probably help too. I know dachshunds with sensitive skin are on raw or home cooked diets only. As far as supplements, I am of no help there. I don't give my dogs any supplements.

JustAiks

All we have been able to determine is that his allergy is caused by grass - mainly fresh cut. This is hard because, being a low-rider, he's close to the grass, and we like to go for walks.

Per his veterinarian, we have started a Benadryl regemine...

As for food, yesterday, we tried raw food with him... A combination of fresh whole chicken, beef liver, and veggies, all ground up. It's a recipe my brother feeds his lab. Well, Ben HATED the raw... Took one bite and looked at me and wagged his tail like it was some kind of joke... :p

Poor guy... I'm not sure what to do... :confused:

By the way, what is designing cream?

Attachments

crystalclear1027

Desitin cream for diaper rash, it's in the baby section, we wash with baby soap, dry the area and apply the cream. Sorry, my kindle spelled desitin it way!!!! LOL

Penny

If the cause is grass, maybe a tee shirt will help some.
There are websites that sell dachshund fitting tees. Let me know if you would like to look at it.

JustAiks

Haha, Crystal, desitin cream autocorrects to desiring cream on my iPad, LOL.

I will look in to that. It's not harmful if he were to lick it?

Also, Penny, if you have a link to a T-Shirt, website, I'd love to take a look.

Thanks! :D

crystalclear1027

I didn't gob it on. I rubbed rubbed it in til a light coating showed. I used it a lot and they never really really tried licking it.

Dachloves201

All we have been able to determine is that his allergy is caused by grass - mainly fresh cut. This is hard because, being a low-rider, he's close to the grass, and we like to go for walks.

Per his veterinarian, we have started a Benadryl regemine...

As for food, yesterday, we tried raw food with him... A combination of fresh whole chicken, beef liver, and veggies, all ground up. It's a recipe my brother feeds his lab. Well, Ben HATED the raw... Took one bite and looked at me and wagged his tail like it was some kind of joke... :p

Poor guy... I'm not sure what to do... :confused:

By the way, what is designing cream?
As for the Raw some dogs don't take to it as quick as others. Some need a fast for a day others need a gradual switch with Kibble in the day and a raw piece in the evening and gradually switching over to more. If the doggie has been kibble fed all his life it is quite a switch. :) Luckily I had two in my pack that are the eat anything type but switching your guy to raw might take some more work or you might look into a pre-packaged Raw like Stella & Chewy's or Primal. If that's what you want to try anyway :)