Raising a Dachshund in NYC

court360

Hi everyone!

My partner and I have been talking about adopting a miniature dachshund for several years and are now looking into shelters, breeders, etc.

I'm quite familiar with dachshunds (I grew up with two), and my partner also grew up with dogs, but we have some questions specific to raising dachshunds in New York City. We want to make sure that we've considered everything fully before we make a commitment and would really appreciate input from New Yorkers (or anyone else who lives in a high-density urban area) who have raised dachshunds.

One issue is that both my partner and I have full-time jobs. Nights and weekends won't be a problem, but we're generally out of the home for a good 8–10 hours per day during the week. Obviously, this is fairly common scenario for many New Yorkers (including dog owners), but we want to make sure that we raise a happy and well-adjusted dog.

We've heard of people leaving their dogs alone in apartments all day with pads, but that seems totally unfair—it's not something that we'd feeling comfortable doing. We know that most New Yorkers rely on dog daycare and dog walkers, so we're interested in knowing what sort of combination of those two services we should use so that our dog isn't lonely.

Our thought was that the dog should probably be in full-time daycare until he or she is about a year old. After that, we thought, dog-walking once or twice during the middle of the day would suffice.

Does that sound right? Is daycare until the dog is a year old overkill? Is it not enough? Should we do some combination of the two? Is one walk a day enough? Two?

Also, we're aware that a very young puppy requires near-constant attention. At what age would it be appropriate to adopt a dog, assuming that we'd have to put it in daycare during the week?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Penny

I don't have much advice since I'm home with my 3. However, with our long winters we hide the ball for exercise. I put them behind a door, hide their ball, and they run all over hunting for it. Both mental and physical workout. You might find that's a handy way to exercise indoors.

Would you consider adopting an adult?
We went to a show breeder and let her know that we would like to adopt an adult that was ready to retire from the show ring and breeding. That has worked for us and we're ok with not getting a puppy. Good luck with what ever you decide.

court360

Thanks for your response!

Yes, we're definitely open to adopting an adult dog, although we'd prefer one on the younger side.

One of the problems seems to be that dachshunds are very popular in NYC, so when one is up for adoption, it's often because it has medical or behavioral issues.

Penny

You can always ask a show breeder. Sometimes females have a litter and need to be spayed because of complications and can be quite young. If they've been shown, they are used to walking on a leash and being around people and other dogs, being in a kennel, and travelling. The bonus is that a good breeder will take the dog back if it isn't a good fit. We've always been offered that option but there never was a need to return the dog.
Most people never consider this option so I always like to let folks know that it has worked for us.

SnuggleBabbies

Puppies are so much work. Doxie puppies are so much more of a handful then I even want to think about (currently with two twelve week olds) I would say adopt an adult. I adopted my male when he was three. The great thing about Doxies is they are SO intelligent you can teach an adult with icky manners how to straighten up in no time with dedication to training.

BelowHylan

Hello. I am in NYC (SI) and we have recently gotten a puppy. Initially we planned on crating her as we both also work full days. While we were waiting for her to be born and ready our situation changed and my husband is temporarily home so he is able to care for Zoya. I'll be honest with you, while we leave her occasionally for over 4 hours (its been about 4 times since we got her) I cannot imagine doing this on regular basis. She likes her crate and does sleep through most of the day anyway but if i do not give her at least 3 good solid *long* walks through the day (in addition to the pop out to pee kind of walks), she becomes very hyper and unruly by evening. expectedly so, lol.

I would think that a dog walker a few times a day + crating would be a good combo for you.

One thing to keep in mind, since we live in a densely populated area, vets recommend that dogs are not taken for walks until they have their immunizations. It happens that a few families on my block got puppies at the same time and I was the only one that risked going out with Zoya from day one. Every one else litter trained/pad trained their dogs. SI is a lot less crowded than the streets of NYC so i would likely follow the vet's advice if I lives in the city itself.