Puppy Wont Sleep

nikki_level27

Hi All!

Can anyone help? I got my new dachshund puppy last week and have been unable to get him to have a proper nights sleep.

I am trying to use the crate method for potty training, but as soon as he goes in it he can whine and howl for hours.

I do take him out for the toilet during the night, but once back in the crate the whining starts again.

Help, how can i get him used to the crate? he hates it.

:(

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
Our youngest, Oscar, was the same with his crate. We wouldn't let him sleep in bed with us until he mastered potty training, to insure he wouldn't wee or poo in bed while we slept. :D He HATED his crate. So, during the day, we would leave the crate door open and place a treat or two amongst his favorite toys and blankie. That way he associated the crate with fun and food. A puppy's favorite things, besides us. At night, we moved the crate in our room so that he wouldnt feel alone. One thing to keep in mind is, pups are used to being huddled with mom and siblings for a long while...just because they are weened doesn't mean that those desires and urges to cuddle stop. Even human babies love to feel warm, secure and loved. We also found that putting our scent and his scent on his blankie helped. Dachshunds LOVE their humans! So, to be in the same room may help, it did us. Of course, just like humans, every doggy is different too. Just remember, your pup is still considered a baby. After Oscar got the potty thing down, we let him into our bed...but our Dachshunds are very very spoiled. :) They are our kids.

Susan

Bella & Jack's Mummy
Hi

we brought our Bella home just over a week ago now and after 3 sleepless nights we tried something new, (I did buy a crate but I have to admit to not really liking the idea of her in a crate but it was our back up last resort if needed ).

Initially we put her in our utility room on a night time so if she messed it wasn't everywhere, our kitchen is a large open plan area, she cried solid for 3 nights and it broke my heart, I then found some info on the interent that said if you put them somewhere different at night to where they were used to they would feel insecure so we moved her back into the main kitchen / living area where we put her bed and toys in the daytime, we put a training pad near her bed, a small travel clock under her blanket in her bed and a hot water bottle 1/4 filled with warm water not boiled and she slept like a baby, the clock is suppost to represent their mothers heart beat and the water bottle the warmth from their siblings and mother....

anyway it worked we have had 4 sleepfilled nights with Bella... touch wood ! up to now with no problems.

Hope that helps

gpmum2

I have used a crate with Bernie (never have with any of my other dogs). He did cry for the first few nights (but used tough love & didn't give in to him).

I did have the crate area as 1/2 bed & the other half as a toilet area with a training mat. I also found the clock under his fleece & use a heated toy (microwavable) to snuggle upto and we don't here from him until 6.30am - this is a lot better than the 4.50am when we first got him. You could also try leaving a night light on and some music.

I have taken the training mat out - seems to be a lot of different advice out there as to whether to have a toilet area or not. Saying that dogs don't wee in their beds..my Bernie has not read this manual :mad:

It is still early days but your puppy will settle down - I shouldn't mention that it took my GSD X 3 months as they are another breed that like to be near their humans :)

Good luck x

nikki_level27

thank you for asking!

Well last night was a much better night. I had previously been using a little toy that you take the bean bag out of and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, but i discovered it didnt stay warm for very long.

Tried a hot water bottle and wow. what a difference! He cried for about 30 seconds and then stopped. Success! For now!

He does cry a few times a night to let us know he needs the toilet which is fine of course because he's still a baby. But much better than the hours of howling after we put him back to bed!

So im hoping we will keep up with good progression! :)

Susan

Bella & Jack's Mummy
thank you for asking!

Well last night was a much better night. I had previously been using a little toy that you take the bean bag out of and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, but i discovered it didnt stay warm for very long.

Tried a hot water bottle and wow. what a difference! He cried for about 30 seconds and then stopped. Success! For now!

He does cry a few times a night to let us know he needs the toilet which is fine of course because he's still a baby. But much better than the hours of howling after we put him back to bed!

So im hoping we will keep up with good progression! :)

thats really good news :) glad the water bottle has made a difference x

Troy Beal

My cried and barked for a few months- and made himself bleed by bashing against the crate I'd bought, which I then abandoned.
The second one only cried once, one night as she had company!