Piper is home!

lisaboo

Piper is home and is a great wedding anniversary present! She has everything she needs food, treats, toys, kennel. She is a healthy 8 weeks old.

Now how should we go about this first night with the kennel? When she cries how long should we wait to take her out? Should we have the kennel in our room so she feels comfort and not so lonely? Or should she be in the next room? Do we shut the door to the kennel right away?

We are already anticipating no sleep but different websites say different things. And we want to make sure we start her off right with being in the kennel at night we don't want her sleeping with us.

Help and advice very much appreciated.... thank you =]

Last edited:

sherlock

For Watson's first night home, he slept in the bed with us (the one and only time we've allowed this) so he would be close to us. Since they are used to sleeping in a pile with their littermates, we didn't want him to suddenly be all alone. I also found that he would lick my nose and whine when he needed to potty.

Starting on the second night, he was in his kennel. We kept him in the living room, and every time he cried I would go check on him and take him out to potty if it had been a few hours. At one point I remember he cried so much that I just laid on the couch with him on my chest, and once he calmed down we both went back to our respective beds.

The next few nights went much better - he would cry every few hours when he needed to go out, but for the most part he was fine. I would usually wait a few minutes to see if he quieted back down, but if he didn't I would get up and take him out.

Another trick that I've heard is to put a ticking clock in their bed with him (wrapped up in a towel or something, of course.) The idea is that the ticking reminds them of their mother's/sibling's heartbeats, and helps relax them. Also, a warm (not hot!) heating pad/water bottle.

I hope your first night goes well...congratulations on your little girl, she is just way too precious!

vizzla

Have her as close to you as posible! She is a little baby taken away from her mother. So never leave her alone. I dont agree with the kennel- treatment. Just have her in your bedrom with closed door. Take her outside when she crys to pee and poop.

My husband lay his madress on the floor and slept there with Alf the first night so he could feel comfort.

You can lay a used t-shirt with your smell on it in the puppys bed so she learns to feel safe in her bed, with you nereby.

vizzla

Remember that she will grow to be able to seek her way out from your side, let her do that in time, but let her be a puppy for as long as she needs! Let her follow you around, she will start exploring on her own when she is ready.

By letting her decide when she is ready you will limit the risk of later anxiety-problems...

SHE IS TOO CUTE!

Good luck!

lisaboo

Well we survived! We just wold sit down by the kennel with her it was by our bed in our room so she didn't feel alone. That eventually turned into us sleeping in shifts down by her kennel. She slept through most of the night and when she woke up we took her out to potty gave praise. We brought her inside put her in the kennel and gave her a treat inside so she will start associating it with positive energy.

She did really well and we actually got some sleep. We will see how tonight goes. =]

Last edited:

sherlock

Good to hear it went well!! I remember barely getting any sleep those first few nights, because it always seemed to be "my turn" when he cried (never DH's...interesting :p) At one point when Watson was crying, DH actually rolled over and was like, "honey, the baby is crying." We don't have any kids, so I found it quite hilarious.

I hope your next few nights go just as well!!

vizzla

Great!

Hope it continue like that :)

Remember that they can relaps to peeing and pooping accidents around their sexual maturity... :)

crystalclear1027

Looks like you are doing a good job with her, they are worth it! We are doing this with Lily, only she is six months and it is a lot easier because of her age. Augie is nine months, and completely trained.

lisaboo

Things are getting better she is still sleeping in her kennel in our room. But she only whines when she wakes up and has to go out. Once we get her in she gets settled and goes right back to sleep. She seems to be adjusting to her food. She still doesn't like to be left alone she cries and howls. But hopefully that will get better as she gets older.

LBandGauge

You have a beautiful little girl there. We tried the crating at night but it just broke my heart to hear my baby cry. So my boyfriend built a ramp with a platform to fit at the foot of the bed. Gauge will climb up and sleep at our heads on his very own body pillow. He lets me know at night if he needs out but he usually sleeps right through.