Oppinions about NUTRAM dogfood?

What kind of food do you give your dog?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vizzla

Heard of this? Nutram from Canada. Ive read about this and I think it might be a good food for Alf. He is not eating to good on his current diet. He poops alot. I will combine this with fresch food - frosen meat"burgers" for dogs....

Steph

Have heard of Nutram, lol being from Canada. Not exactly the best food on the market. It's only a 2 out of 6 star rated food. If you guy poops alot now, he won't get any better on Nutram.

I feed my guys Nature's Variety (don't know if you can get that where you are) and they poop once, maybe twice a day (depends on if my kids have given them things they aren't supposed to be having) It has no corn, no wheat, no soy in it so no allergies. It's about 95% meat, with fruit, veggies and one carbohydrate to fill in the rest of the meal. If you can find and try something like that, he'd probably enjoy it! My guys love to eat their meals now and beat me to the kitchen when I say supper time.

Good luck!

dgc333

Blue Buffalo and Wellness are another two top rated foods. My dogs like both brands and they both do well on the sensitive stomach formulas.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I fed Nutram for awhile, a long time ago. But there are ALOT better foods on the market. Acana, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Blue Wilderness, First Mate, Addiction, Merrick, Fromm, Go, Now, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, and Horizon are all excellent foods that I feed my dogs. (they get something different every meal)

As for the type of foods, I give them pretty much everything. Dry, canned, raw, dehydrated raw, home cooked, whatever I want really. Dogs are scavengers, meant to eat a variety. I believe alot of sensitive tummies are caused by the fact we feed our dogs the same thing day after day, besides, they get alot of different nutrients this way.

vizzla

I have heard of acana and orijen but they dont get good gradings in sweden, to much oats and so on. james wellbeloved we have here. i want to give him fresch frosen food to that is more natural. i dont know enough to give him raw food by my self, want a complete diet as a base.

vizzla

In sweden many argues that dog are sensitive to changes in their diet but ive always believed that they should vary a bit jus as you say deafdogs!

vizzla

Are there any studies /internet sites where you can see results of dogfoodtests? objective ones. not from dogfoodcompanys :)

vizzla

Ok what about healthy paws and naturediet? opinions? im so confused :s there are so many to choese from...

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Ok what about healthy paws and naturediet? opinions? im so confused :s there are so many to choese from...
Orijen and some of the Acana lines are completely grain-free, made with fresh, human-grade ingredients sourced from Western Canada only and made about 2 hours north of my home. Top of the line foods.

As to impartial dog food reviews, this one is the best
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

vizzla

To me it seems like Nutram, Acana and orijen are the same? Different name? On swedish sites they have almost identical descprition: no grain, made of man-food and most of proteins from meat. :/

Wonder why they arent so popular in sweden. I want to give my dog as natural food as possible. Dryfood is practical and I know he gets all he needs from it, easy to take. Then I will add some raw food just for his apetite :)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
To me it seems like Nutram, Acana and orijen are the same? Different name? On swedish sites they have almost identical descprition: no grain, made of man-food and most of proteins from meat. :/

Wonder why they arent so popular in sweden. I want to give my dog as natural food as possible. Dryfood is practical and I know he gets all he needs from it, easy to take. Then I will add some raw food just for his apetite :)
Nutram is made by a different company. Acana and Orijen are both made by Champion Pet Foods, but they are different recipes.

Steph

Grains are the biggest reason why most dogs have allergies to their food. Their digestive systems aren't equipped to handle grains and thus end up with bad raunchy gas, upset tummies, and then if they have allergies, itchy skin, ear infections, little red bumps on their chins or between their toes.

Fruits and vegetables are a source of fibre in the diet, which everyone needs to stay "regular" and oatmeal or rice make up the carbohydrate (energy producing material) in the dog's diet. The rest of the meal should be meat or meat protein. That's as natural as most people will allow, unless you want to go completely raw.

Going straight onto a raw diet will not hurt even if you switch right away without the 7 - 10 day switch over. It takes 12 hours for a dog to fully digest kibble (Nutram, Iams, etc) and only 6 hours to digest a raw meal. The best part I find about feeding the diet I do to my guys is the lack of poop I have to clean up. If I forget to pick it up out of the yard and it either rains or snows, the poop is actually washed away :D

vizzla

How big is the bites? The food we give alf now has really big bites.does acana hav for smaller breethanks to all who has responded!!

vizzla

On a swedisch dog-forum they say that Orijen has to much proteins for small dogs like dachshund. Someone that knows anything about this?!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That's actually crap. The whole too much protein stuff is a myth. Mouse did extremely well on Orijen. But as I now feed a rotation diet, she only gets it once every 6 days or so. And size of dog does not matter.

DonRamon

Ninja
I now feed my dog and my cats Acana and Blue Buffalo, diff flavors and they love it. Ofcource i also mix it upf or my dog and about 2 times a week cook him up a little fresh meal :)