No more steroids

covenantwmn

Our little Sadie-bug suffers in the summer with allergies. We've switched to grain-free food, we live in an apartment, she's on grass, but not very often, and gets blotches on her tummy, and this summer little bumps all over and the itching is driving her, and us, crazy, poor baby. The vet's answer is anti-histamine, antibiotics and steroid, then she is ravenous all the time, becoming a bit neurotic about food, and drinks a ton of water. So now we are trying to do what we can, the food change, adding Omega-3, and wiping her down, using medicated shampoo. Whew, to no avail thus far. Anybody else experience this? Thanks!

In human or dog I would want to use the antibiotics and/or cortisone (steroids) topically (directly on the skin) instead of by mouth if at all possible.

Still, you are only treating symptoms and it would be nice to find the cause and avoid whatever it is. Our guy's crazy itching was helped by an application of Frontline even though I could not see any bugs.

vizzla

So sorry for you. I agree with natural curl, can you make a test to se exaclty what she is allergic to? Then maybe you can get rid of it once and for all?

Penny

You are under veterinary care so I don't know how we can help you. However, when you wash their blankets and bedding (and yours if she has access to your bed) do you use fabric softener? You can drop that. Double rinse your wash load. Carpet deodorizer, have you sprinkled it in your carpet to freshen it? That can be trouble. I know you're saying it's a summer thing but maybe there was a new product on sale that you wanted to try out.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon.

covenantwmn

We can no longer afford to go to the vet unless it is an emergency, so are doing the best we can with home measures. We give her a monthly tab for heartworm and fleas which seems to sit well with her, so not fleas or ticks. Good tip on the fabric softener, tho nothing new used, still couldn't hurt to eliminate it. Thanks to all for your reply, much appreciated.

jessymatts

Our little Sadie-bug suffers in the summer with allergies. We've switched to grain-free food, we live in an apartment, she's on grass, but not very often, and gets blotches on her tummy, and this summer little bumps all over and the itching is driving her, and us, crazy, poor baby. The vet's answer is anti-histamine, antibiotics and steroid, then she is ravenous all the time, becoming a bit neurotic about food, and drinks a ton of water. So now we are trying to do what we can, the food change, adding Omega-3, and wiping her down, using medicated shampoo. Whew, to no avail thus far. Anybody else experience this? Thanks!
YES! My dog is suffering from the same thing. Where are you located? I'm in Warwick, NY. I did an environmental allergy test on her and I got 14 different things she allergic to from certain grass, fleas, mold, yeast, etc. She's on allergy drops, steroid, antibiotics and she is still itching like crazy. She wears a cone 24/7 which breaks my heart but either that or she will itch till she's bleeding out. My heart is broken seeing her like this, she is only 2. I've been given every kind of medicated bath, lotion, foam, etc from my VET and we still have no idea. We did not get her fixed yet because she has not been well enough. I think its a hormonal imbalance. Im at a loss and don't know what to do either.