Newbie here

Lynderlane

Hi, I have a mini dachshund, Cricket, 12lbs, 2 years old, dabble piebald. Today she went to vet for booster vaccines. The vet didn't want to give her every booster at one time, I.e rabies, 5 in one, kennel cough because she is under 15 lbs. I am an experience dog owner and have never been told this before. I have had Boston's have allergic reactions many times in the past, which were easily treated. The vet was worried about vaccine overload on a small dog. I can understand this, it's just new to me. He said it's not because she is a mini doxie, but because of her weight. I signed a waiver and had her fully vaccinated because next week she will be out and about with other dogs. She had no reactions in the past 10 hours, but now I'm worried. Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Penny

Welcome! I hope you can figure out how to post photos soon so we can see your sweetie. What color is she, and what coat?

I have had my doxies vaccinated, separating the shots. I wait in the vet's waiting room for 1/2 hour afterward to be sure as well, and I don't book the appointment close to closing. (Things can happen and I'm making it easy on myself! lol) What you want is the body to make the antibodies and overloading isn't the best decision even if they don't have an allergic reaction. If they did have an allergic reaction, you don't know which vaccine it was when you give multiples. Your vet wanted to err on the side of caution, as my vets have done. Good. Consider it for next time.

Last edited:

Lynderlane

Vaccines

Thanks Penny! Next time that's what I'm going to do. Cricket has been a very easy dog, very healthy and robust. I got her after I lost my two Pugs within a year. They were a constant worry, and I was afraid for their well being for 13 years. Since Cricket has been so easy I got comfortable. But I have since read up on Mini Dachshunds and vaccines, so no more chances. She does have a white and gray coat, and from my understanding they can be sensitive to vaccines. Thank you again.:p