New Puppy need advice !

MiniAlly

Our newest member of the family is Ally and she is a minatute daushaund, on the second day that we got her we put a collar on her . As soon as we put it on her she became a different dog. She won't move from one spot she won't eat or go potty outside . As soon as I take it off she's happy running around and playful. I'm having a hard enough time potty training because it doesn't seem like she goes to the bathroom very much , an now the way she is acting with the collar makes it worse. I don't know what to do , she needs her collar for identification but I need her to be potty trained . She will not go potty when the collar is on. I never had any this trouble with my last puppy. I think it's strange. Would love to know people's thoughts .

Thanks,
Frustarated mommy

Penny

I have no advice since I've never had a puppy, but I did want to say Hello and Welcome to the forum!

HilyBee

Welcome from Kentucky! :D Sounds like you have one stubborn little girl! How old is she? Please share pictures if you can.

Have you tried a harness yet? Is the collar a good size for her (not just in length but width)? Sounds like she's super uncomfortable and scared for some reason. Try giving her a treat every time you put a collar on her or near her. She will then associate the collar with food. We only put our doxie's collar on when we take him outside of our home. He is microchipped just in case he gets out.

Also, set her up on a potty schedule. Every 2-3 hours take her outside. Even if she doesn't go it will help her establish a schedule. Dachshunds especially love routine with certain aspects of their lives. They are notorious for taking a long time to potty train so just be as patient as possible.

sherlock

I'm guessing her collar has tags...maybe try taking them off first? When Dr. Watson was a puppy, the clinking of his tags and the way they hit his chest scared him. Maybe she can get used to the collar by itself first, and then you can put her tags back on.

love'laska

I'm guessing her collar has tags...maybe try taking them off first? When Dr. Watson was a puppy, the clinking of his tags and the way they hit his chest scared him. Maybe she can get used to the collar by itself first, and then you can put her tags back on.
Ironically, Alaska loves her tag. The only one she has right now is her ID with my info on it (she'll get her license after being spayed at six months). But of course the only tags they had at the time were ones that were obnoxiously huge for doxie pups. She likes to pick up her tag while she's wearing her collar and just carry it around in her mouth.

Additionally, if you're clicker training, I would click and treat every time you have the collar near your pup (not necessarily on her), so she learns that being near the collar has great rewards.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Try tying a thin piece of yarn around her neck for a bit, once she's com fortable with that braid a yarn collar for her. Then put a tiny little thin lightweight puppy collar on her. She should be fine after that.

sherlock

Ironically, Alaska loves her tag. The only one she has right now is her ID with my info on it (she'll get her license after being spayed at six months). But of course the only tags they had at the time were ones that were obnoxiously huge for doxie pups. She likes to pick up her tag while she's wearing her collar and just carry it around in her mouth.
Watson chews on his. Always has, once he got used to wearing it. It has little scratch marks on it. I swear he is SO weird!!!

jake1133

My puppy is 3 months old now, so I'm no expert, but our puppy sounds a lot like yours with her collar.

She hated it at first. She would not move or try to bite it or scratch it off. What I did was put it on her for small amounts of time each day, and then gradually increase. The first time I put it on her she only wore it for under a minute and then I took it off. I did that a few times every day for a few days. Then I increased the time to 2 minutes. Did that several times a day for a few days.

Eventually she got used to it. Now it is on her all the time and she doesn't pay any attention to it.