New Mini-Dachshund!

Stanley+Stella

Hi Everyone! My name is Amy, and my husband Jeremy and I just got our first mini-dachshund last weekend!

His name is Stanley, and he is a 5 month old non-neutered male (as of right now). He is so sweet and soooo adorable! We have another dog, Stella, who is a 3 1/2 year old boxer/pitt mix.

Stanley is adjusting pretty well; however, we are new the small dog world, so I have a couple of questions.

How do we curb the following behaviors:
- Need to lick us (hands, arms, face)
- Need to lunge/jump into our faces
- Occasional humping of Stella
- Telling the signs of needing to go outside (he's so small and low to the
ground already!!)
- Effectively using positive enforcement/treat training (he gets so excited for
the treat and begins to lunge/muscle his way to my hand or pocket that the
treats are in)

Tips, tricks, and encouragement needed! I love this little guy, but we have got to get these behaviors under control.

Thanks!
Amy

Nell

Hi Amy and welcome from the UK!

Stanley sounds great, dachshunds are extremely loyal to their owners and after only four days I am not surprised he is sticking to you like glue! he has found a lovely home and is making sure you are close by at all times!

Dachshunds can be very food orientated, my girl would lick the pavements clean if she could. As he is lunging I would suggest cutting back on the treats for a while and feed him at meal times in his bowl. Food is VERY exciting to dachshunds and he just needs to learn he cant grab, for now the praise can be just verbal and a fuss then hopefully he will calm down a bit.

Licking - well dachshunds are very affectionate and this is a bit of a trait with some, it just needs firm boundaries. Fuss and affection should only happen when invited by you, if he lunges uninvited he should be firmly removed or put down until you are ready for a game or a fuss.

Life is very exciting for you puppy just now but you do need to be the one in charge. As for the humping then castration is the answer for that, have a word with the vet as some prefer to do it earlier than others.

Good luck with you new baby I am sure you will work it out together.

Stanley+Stella

Nell,

Thank you so much for the encouragement! We are taking it one day at a time. Stanley is such a wonderful addition to our home, but I have to remember that for the past 5 months he has had absolutely no training. The home we got him from was extremely chaotic and dirty. The dogs were allowed to go to the bathroom whenever and wherever. Consistency will have to be key to breaking those bad habits! :)

Thanks again!

WillyPea

Consistency is the absolute key as these wee guys love it! We've found the more consistent we are the more Oscar sticks to his schedule which makes us understand each other. It's wonderful watching them grow and learn from you!

Oscar also enjoys the huge lunges into your face for a good lick but, as Nell mentions, the best thing to do is put him down until he calms down. After a few attempts he will learn but they are stubborn wee things so, again, be consistent.

Good luck, it looks like we are on a learning journey together ;)

jarredfeet

That's a lovely name for a active and sweet dachshund, welcome to both of you to the board! You got good advice already and surely need to be consistent, our Jarred been through it and dachshund are very smart dogs. We would love to see and hear more about him, enjoy the board.