New Here --- Hi Ya'll

luvmyweiners

My husband and I adopted our babies 3 years ago. Unfortunately the breeder did not take all precautions as neccessary and make sure dapples do not get together. Our little man is blind in one eye and has half vision in the other eye. Our little girl has no defects that we can tell and our vet. They have both been under anesthesia once for neutering/ spaying. I was wanting some insight on current owners with double dapples. We need to sedate them again for a dental but I am nervous about them going under. We have ran bloodwork in the past and everything comes back fine but the concern is always in the back of my mind, are there any more defects I am not aware of. What are your thoughts?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Hi and Welcome! I have 2 Double Dapples, both are completely deaf and have some sight impairment. You absolutely MUST post pics of your babies! I'd LOVE to see them!!!

The Double Merle/Dapple gene (We'll call it MM for short) is very interesting, I have done alot of reading up on the issues involved with it.

Basically it's a mutation attached to the dilution gene that causes the colour patterns. Where 2 dilution genes are paired together, it causes the white on MM's. This mutation causes neurological disorders such as the deafness and blindness, and, quite possibly, a much higher risk of epilepsy (alot of MM's have Epilepsy)

But that being said, there doesn't seem to be any problem's with sedation and anesthetic, I am part of a deaf dog yahoo group that has thousands of members, with alot of the dogs owned by people on the list being MM's, I've never heard of a single one having issues with surgical procedures.

Here are my 2 little MM's

Mouse (Dapple ear) and Boo (1/2 Dapple face). You can see how weird their eyes are.

Snuggle time!

My Baby-girl, Mouse!

Mouse has extremely light-sensitive eyes, so she often wears Doggles in the bright sun, so she can see

sdw1961

Welcome to the forum.

You're going to love it here! Do you have any pictures of your babies to share with us? We love pictures! :D

The information in this forum is very helpful and Sara is the bestest! She has helped me tremendously with advice on issues that I have come across.

Enjoy your visits with us!

Sandra

luvmyweiners

Thank You

I really appreciate the information. I have attached some pictures of our babies. Peanut is our little girl she is the one with mostly black. Roscoe is our little man who is blind in one eye and the vet said he has partial vision in one eye.
Have you had your dachshunds teeth cleaned before? I have read that they will be good for about 3-6 months and then the bad breath comes back again. I have tried to brush their teeth and Roscoe does much better than Peanut but it is not a success story. ;)

Attachments

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Mouse is 2.5 and her teeth are still almost perfectly white at Boo, whom I adopted last December at 6.5 years old, has horrible teeth, which I need to get cleaned.

What do you feed your dogs? a high end kibble and lots of chew toys are necessary for good teeth. Every few weeks, I feed my doxie's a raw chicken leg or neck, bones and all, as the spongy chicken bones are great for cleaning teeth.

luvmyweiners

I feed them lamb and rice Iams. They have chew bones, raw hides, and they get rib bones every two weeks. I don't give them any bird bones. I was veterinary technician for 7 years and I saw plenty of dogs getting them stuck in their throat or in their bowels.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Cooked yes, Raw no. I never feed my dogs coked or prepared bones in any way, they break teeth (I spent alot of money on broken teeth before learning this lesson) I also do not feed weight bearing bones (legs of cows and such) as they're too hard and dont help the teeth. Raw rib bones, are great, nice and spongy for them to get their teeth into.

I feed my dogs grain-free foods, I wouldn't touch Iams with a 10 foot pole, but that's due to cruel animal testing, and the fact that it's full of fillers. I feed Acana (Ranchland and Pacifica) and Natural balance fish and sweet potato. My Doxies also get supplemented with glucosamine and salmon oil.

I feed my dogs the best, in hopes that it'll help keep them healthy for a long, LONG time! Mouse (2.5yo) and Oliver (3yo) still have perfectly white teeth. Zoe (9yo) has had problems with her teeth, and had to have 13 teeth removed at 6.5 years old... but that's likely due to the fact she had puppies too young. Scout (8yo) has fairly good teeth, though they're going to need cleaning soon And Boo (7yo) has pretty bad teeth... but I didn't adopt him 'till he was 6.5 years old, so who knows what he was fed prior to me adopting him... except it was too much as he was fat.