My soon to be new boy! name ideas?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
So it has been decided, The little deaf and VI Dachshund that I've been eyeing up is to be mine!!! Now I get to pick out some names, and buy him stuff!!! I am so stoked! Apparently, his personality is akin to that of a grumpy old man, he grumbles about following rules... LOL He's 6 years old, and a Double Dapple Piebald (yes that is correct) I cant WAIT to meet him!!!

So now I am shortlisting names. I have, previously named my dogs after literary characters. I have Scout (to kill a Mockingbird) who is deaf as well. Oliver (obvious) and Mouse (a dog in a book, but I cant remember which one) so I have several ideas. One to continue with the literary theme. Boo, Pi, Dickens, Twain, Sawyer.... 2 to go with another rodent, Marmot, Otter, Critter, Gopher.... 3 to go with old man names, Walter, Norman... 3 to match Mouse, Trap, Mickey.... or 4 to go without a theme, Pockets....

Right now, those are the shortlisted names, i wont choose anything until I meet him, but anyone have any other ideas?

I'm pretty excited, and I'll get to work with issues I've not before had, so it'll be a learning experience!!!

OH and here's a pic, I dont know if I prev. posted it or not :)

G

Gravhund

Name

He is adorable!!!

I like the grumpy old man idea... One of the grumpiest I could think of was Ebenezer (Scrooge) (grumpy AND from a book!). I also thought Mr. Mortimer sounded kinda grumpy and Sigmund also. Waldorf is one of the names of the two grumpy men in the Muppet Show (Statler is the other).

I'm sure as soon as you meet him it will just come to you :) But I do love thinking of names.... If I think of any other, I will let you know. Can't wait to hear what you end up naming him :D

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Walter is def. a fav of mine, but I am also leaning quite heavily towards Boo (Radely, "To Kill a Mockingbird") From a book, and grumpy old man as well! and i already have Scout, who is also deaf! LOL Finding the perfect name is always a chore, I want the perfect Name, one that is a bit original, and will fit the dog well... :) I like Darwin too!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Beau is a nice name, but we had a cat named Beau when I was a kid... is name was actually Beauregard Alistar... seriously! LOL He was a GORGEOUS red point siamese. so no Beau.... LOL

gpmum2

He is a very handsome, out of your list I think he looks like a Norman, because he is black and white what about one of the names from 101 dalmations....?

When do you get him, you may have answered this in a another thread, been away for a week & just catching up now!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
He is a very handsome, out of your list I think he looks like a Norman, because he is black and white what about one of the names from 101 dalmations....?

When do you get him, you may have answered this in a another thread, been away for a week & just catching up now!
I will get him at the end of November. We have found someone flying from Vancouver to Edmonton, who'll take him as carry on! so NO ONE has to drive through the Mountains (and as far as i am concerned, risk their lives!:D) he's actually not black and white at all, but a double dapple, his patches are blue with black spots. I cant wait!!!!

scattyann

New Name 'Jimboc@

I'm too loving the name Walter ..... but I also Like 'Jimbo' .... he was a beloved Great Dane rescue dog that we had the fortune of rehousing and I think your little one has all the potential of pulling off that of the character of a Great Dane !!

scattyann

'new name'

I'm loving the name Walter but I also like .... Jimbo!!!! He was such a loving Great Dane that we were fortunate enough to rehome ( from young a young age I can remeber we had dogs in our home that mum would take in, feed them up and find them a good home .... (though we often fought for the couch) . You're little buddle of joy would be delighted to be named about such a beautiful 'Great Dane' am sure .... small dog but such a big attitude :- )

Carrie H

He's gorgeous - I like Sawyer

another name I loved - but hubbie wouldn't agree was Dakota

good luck and let us know what you choose x

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Dakota is a good name, but it's common... and no common names here! LOL Another idea I had is Marvin (the Martian) as My sister calls Mouse the alien dog! LOL I wont pick a name until I meet him, but I'll certainly be posting about him when I get him home!!!

He is a cuttie. How about Charlie or Chester? I have a question, this might be dumb? Does a or can a deaf dog bark?

Last edited:

HoundHelpers

aaaw he is gorg! how about cecil, herbert (burt), siryl, or claude? i do like the boo radley one and walter too tho lol, exciting stuff getting another, im trying to justify another dox to my other half atm, only time will tell ;-)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
aaaw he is gorg! how about cecil, herbert (burt), siryl, or claude? i do like the boo radley one and walter too tho lol, exciting stuff getting another, im trying to justify another dox to my other half atm, only time will tell ;-)
I'm lucky, I dont have to justify anything to anyone! LOL Thanks for the name ideas! he is pretty adorable! and I already love him to bits.... haven't met him yet, but love him!

He is a cuttie. How about Charlie or Chester? I have a question, this might be dumb? Does a or can a deaf dog bark?
Yes, deaf dogs do bark. Deaf dogs are no different than hearing dogs... except their ears are decoration only! LOL Apparently my new boy is a bit of a barker. he also grumble/growls like an old man! LOL but I have found in my experience, as have other owners, that deaf dogs have a mostly high pitched bark. they are unable to moderate their voice like hearing dogs, and they can be very peircing.

Chester is the name my Sister picked out for her next Westie, and Charlie is a Cat my Grandma had... but both are ADORABLE names, and would so be in contention, if not already taken! LOL