mogfighow

mogfighow

mogfighow
I am new to the world of dachshund ownership, have got a 11 week old mini called frankie love him to bits, but desperately need to stop him nipping and hanging from my clothes as soon as possible as I have young grandchildren who visit, I would be grateful for any advice?:confused:

Cell

have any friends or neighbors with dogs? other dogs will set a nipping puppy straight faster then humans usually can. You can also try squealing like it hurts then ignoring him for a few seconds after biting. Or offering a chew toy as a distraction. Unfortunately puppy teeth are needles and then they start to teeth....

Dusty Puddles

have any friends or neighbors with dogs? other dogs will set a nipping puppy straight faster then humans usually can. You can also try squealing like it hurts then ignoring him for a few seconds after biting. Or offering a chew toy as a distraction. Unfortunately puppy teeth are needles and then they start to teeth....
Excellent advice! I'm always amazed when I watch a mother set one of her pups straight about nipping. For a few seconds she will convince the pup, and me, that that pup is fixin to meet its maker!:eek: And then, just as quickly, it's over and she's back to being momma.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
BEst thing to stop puppies from biting is the "tree" method. Basically, if the puppy bites, you stand up, cross your arms and completely ignore the pup... no eyecontact, not talking, no nothing! Stand absolutely still. If the puppy is biting at your ankles and pant legs, just ignore the behaviour. When the pup stops biting, and looks up at you like "What gives?" reward the pup with a favorite chew toy and a game of tug... when the pup bites again, follow prev. instructions.

Any interaction from your part is fun to a pup, even getting yelled at, as it's still interaction, completely ignoring the pup? not fun, at all. If you never deviate, and ALWAYS follow through with the "tree" method, it will not take long at all for the pup to quit biting at people... it's just NOT FUN!!!