Mini or standard?

JPsMOM

Hey there Dachshund Pros! At what point will I be able to tell if Jasper is a mini or standard (or somewhere in between... )? For my own personal knowledge, since I don't plan on trying to show him in any way.

Facts: Mom and litter were rescues. Unknown age on mom. She was 9.5lbs at the time of rescue. The pups looked to be about a week old by the angency's estimate. Jasper is now 5.8lbs by the vet scale a few days ago, and he would be about 3 1/2 months old. He also may be a little chunky since I don't see a tuck-up on him, but maybe that's not a puppy thing.
Should any of that tell me anything about how big he might get? Could a Standard mom be malnourished enough to be that small?

Sent via tapatalk

Penny

Could a Standard mom be malnourished enough to be that small? No.

See what weight he is when he's a year old. Some mini to mini breedings can produce dogs that are around 16 or 17 lbs. which isn't a standard size but affectionately called a 'tweenie'.

Puppies will be like a tube for a while. Depending on the lines, the chest won't sink down for a while yet. They are soooo adorable when they're little and like a tube! Not when an adult though. lol

Last edited:

JPsMOM

Okay thank you :) He has a big broad chest but you're correct that it hasn't sunk down yet, I had wondered about that too... His broad chest combined with his stout little legs is one of my favorite things because it shows off his markings which I think are beautiful too! He's just so gorgeous to me! Lol! Thanks for the info!

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

Love his chest marking he has perfect angel wings lol!

Mum was definitely a mini (under 11lb). do you know anything about dad?

He definitely looks a mini to me, we don't have tweenies in the UK just mini or standard.

JPsMOM

Thank you both :) I don't know anything about dad, the rescue wasn't able to get records from the mill they seized them from if they had any

Sent via tapatalk

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
We don't have tweenies here either. Anything over 11lbs is a standard. Mouse fluctuates between Mini and Standard lol she goes between 10.5lbs and 11.5lbs

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

JPsMOM

We don't have tweenies here either. Anything over 11lbs is a standard. Mouse fluctuates between Mini and Standard lol she goes between 10.5lbs and 11.5lbs

Mouse is adorable, i have stalked some of your videos lol

Sent via tapatalk

JPsMOM

More pics, just because... And didn't want to start a new thread for it so they are going here :)
He is so tiny still!
mommy has treats!
doing well with "wait"

Sent via tapatalk

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Mouse is adorable, i have stalked some of your videos lol

Sent via tapatalk
Hahaha. Mouse is a brat, but adorable works lol. She is my baby girl (as opposed to my little man *Boo* and my boy-dog *Oliver* lol)