Loving Doxies......

Okinell

Hey up everyone... I am brand new to this forum, but delighted to have found it. All my life I have been brought up with dogs, primarily Collies, but also Poodles, Pomeranians, and Yorkies, when living at home. Frankly, I'd always had a long standing desire for a water dog, primarily a Lab or Golden. Oddly enough, after getting out of hospital from serious lower back surgery, a friend of mine gave me, Tasha, a black Lab bitch. She was, has been, and will be a huge stalwart of my pack. About a year went by and I had to move. Not long after that, I thought that Tasha, but mostly me, needed another "playmate" and one that could more easily "cuddle" next to me at night.

I am a licensed ham radio operator and for some reason in this part of the country, Southeast Texas, it seemed that every time I "turned around" the person I was speaking with had a mini doxie, with one exception in Baton Rouge, La., who had a standard Black and Tan, Bruiser....LOL. As a young boy in Houston, Spring Branch, I had a Chronicle paper route. It never failed that on my route back home there was this incessant standard, fat, brown, doxie that would stand his ground when I passed. Well......one afternoon, this mutt didn't give way to me and my big fat front tire ran over that big fat arsed doxie, and he proceeded to piss right up my left leg......LMAO. From that point onward, I never had much of an identity with doxies, of any effing size......LOL.

I decided to give this breed a chance and bought my first mini doxie in Nov. of 2004, from Valentine Kennels in Sheppard, Texas. This was the aforementioned, Ziggy, a male red brindle smooth coat. This dog has been one of the strongest ambassadors of mini doxies ever. This dog swims much more than my Lab, and in all times of the seasons. This was the first dog in almost 60 years of existence on this planet that I've ever experienced true love and devotion to any animal. Not only Ziggy, but the breed in general. I followed Zig with a black and tan male, Zackry, from the same kennel. Unfortunately, Zackry, was born with a congenital defect called a liver shunt. This is something that doesn't resolve will eventually poison the pup and lead to its demise. It really broke my heart, as any of you reading can appreciate.

Well, like any doxie love might imagine; I decided to get another member of the pack. This time I decided to venture out to other kennels, here in Texas. I was considering a kennel in Elgin, Texas and also, Debbie's Dachshunds, in Luckenback. Most anyone that is familiar with Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, etc., has heard about Luckenback. Well, due to the puppies available, I chose, Debbie's Dachshunds. So, in early July of 2010 a friend of mine and I drove out to pick up the little guy; a smooth coated red male, Kastan. You might wonder where on Earth, Kastan, came from, but it is the first part of the German word for "auburn".

He actually worried me greatly, due to his lethargy and apparent disconnect from what was going on around him, very similar to Zachry, that had the liver shunt issue that forced me to have him put down. I, to say the least, was very pissed off at the breeder. Anyway, after over $400 of tests, Kastan proved to be okay, just a bit slow in his personality. I am happy to let everyone know that he is "blowing and going". He is one hell of a squirrel dog and "ratter"........LOL. Frankly, he reminds me a great deal of my younger bro.....LOL

Well to wrap up this massive missive of introduction. I recently called Linda Valentine, of Valentine Kennels, she had the last two pups of her last litter, both smooth coated, one male, red brindle, and the other, a female, red dapple. Like a real fool, this past Friday, I went out there to take a look. Well, guess what???????? I have two more additions to my pack. I must say though that Linda really made me an offer that any doxie lover couldn't refuse.

Anyway, these two sibs are doing fine and assimilating great with my Lab (what a natural mama she has been), she's the best! Zig is warming up, but Kastan, from another breeder is having a bit of more difficulty.

To tell you the truth, I think that anyone considering getting into Doxies, and/or any other breed should seriously consider the overall demeanor of that breeder's dogs, i.e., discuss with other owners what sort of disposition their dogs are. I truly believe that would relieve a great deal of tension and frustrations.

Sorry about my diarrhea fingers, but guess that is just evidence of just how much I love and cherish this breed.

Harold Bissonnet

Doxmom

Welcome, Harold, to our little home on the net. We're so happy you found us! You've certainly got alot more doxie experience than I have - my first one is Little Bree I just adopted in September (thanks to Wandering Man's encouragement!).

Looking forward to pictures and expertise. ~Nikki in Florida :D