Leg Lifting and more..

Doxmom

Bree is doing okay with his housebreaking OUTSIDE of the house. But inside, he is still lifting his leg and 'going' by the legs of our chairs in various rooms in the house. If we catch him in the act, we take him outside (and then he doesn't go!). But my husband is getting a little upset.

We've had him almost a month now. Bree is eight months old. I am planning to have him fixed/neutered at a year old. Will that help the 'marking' problem (if that is what it is)?

Any advice appreciated! :confused:

PrettyPenny

Neutering will help, but in all honesty, you could help him understand that that behavior isn't warranted. If you catch him in the act, correct him. Then take him out and praise. But yes, I do think it is a marking issue and it usually is with intact males.

Steph

I have 3 boys - 2 that were neutered at 1 1/2 yrs (my older boys) and the other at 6 mos. (which I now regret after doing some more research) For the most part I don't have any problems with leg hiking in the house, unless there's something new - for example, I foster dogs from our local shelter that need a little extra TLC or some behaviour help before going up for adoption - that's usually when I have the problem with leg hiking in the house from the older 2. My youngest boy (my doxie) I have seen him lift his leg once or twice and that was outside on my son's bike, LOL

I had the leg hiking problem before the older 2 were neutered, so I started letting them out to pee more often. It seemed to help a lot.

Last edited:

Doxmom

Thanks, Steph. I do take him out often - but maybe I could increase the outside time during the day.

I'm curious about your remark re: neutering at 6 months, & now, after research you wish you had waited. What age do you think is the right time? My friend and fellow-doxie owner, said to wait until Bree was a year old. Do you agree?

Doxielove2012

I was wondering he same thing Linus is six months I did not know if he would be full grown at a year. I wanted to wait until his growth plates closed before I neutered him.

jax's_mommy

I was also planning on getting Jax neutered at a year old. Unless the vet thinks it needs to be sooner because of the testicle issue -_-
Jax hasn't even lifted his leg to go at all, he still sorta squats (the way little boy puppies do lol) I want him to though since he's a boy lol I just don't want the marking thing.

Steph

I'm curious about your remark re: neutering at 6 months, & now, after research you wish you had waited. What age do you think is the right time? My friend and fellow-doxie owner, said to wait until Bree was a year old. Do you agree?
Oh wow, I totally missed this comment :eek:

When I looked further into spay/ neuter, I learned that doing it too early can actually cause growth problems. I knew this was a concern in big dogs (my Dobes) but never did it cross my mind with my little ones. Even though smaller breeds mature faster than the larger ones, they still need those hormones at puberty to tell their bones and other things to stop growing or function correctly otherwise you could end up with an over-sized dog (ie the Warlock Doberman or 'King' Shepherd) or thyroid dysfunction (yes, neutered males show a higher incidence of hypothyroidism as they get older)

If I knew where the link was...I know I posted it here some time ago, I could tell you which post to look under because we had a long discussion about it :)

Now looking back on it, I probably should have waited till now when Arelus is a year and a half before I had him neutered...but that's hindsight and it's probably for the better because my fosters have all been girls and one that we thought was spayed - vet thought he could feel a spay scar - turns out she wasn't and that would have been very bad if she came into heat and I didn't have Arelus fixed because she was a dapple too.

Fact of the matter is, if you feel you can wait longer (8 months - 1 year) to have the boys neutered, then go for it...if not, then have them neutered when your vet suggests :D

Ixyavi

My vet said to have my doxie neutered at 6 months and didnt tell me anything about waiting. Is it better to wait? I dont want to deal with marking. He is only 11 weeks and already sort of lifts his leg when he pees outside, and he has even peed on my cat once lol.