Leash Training?

JPsMOM

Anyone have any good links/tips for leash training? I thought we were doing pretty well without any training since when he is on-leash he was staying right with me no problem, but lately he has gotten "stubborn" and while he doesn't try to run around ahead of me and such, his single focus outside has become "find and eat" (grass...flower...crumb...) and I don't exist when asking him to "let's go" or "this way" which was what got his attention previously. When he has decided he is good and done sniffing..then he will listen. lol

What am I missing that I need to work on? I don't really know where to start.

Thanks!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, I use food, so what's on the ground doesn't matter as much. when I first start leash training, I just give a treat every time they look at me. Eventually I refine it to giving food when beside me and such. However, I also do "sniff walks" where the dogs are allowed to do their own thing, sniff whatever they want and such. I don't think it's all that fair that we always make them march along beside us. I have 3 different walking cue's for my hearing dog. "Heel" is walking beside me, looking up at me, "with me" is loose leash walking, paying close attention, but doesn't have to look up or be right beside me, and "go play" is for doing his own thing. The only thing I don't allow is pulling, when doing a sniff walk. I guess I have 4 different cue, come to think of it as I have "hike" as a cue to pull hard straight ahead. Makes walking fun for the dog and I, as I mix it up and use sniff walks as a reward for heeling and such.

My doubles are different. Neither of them hear and both have vision issues. They have heel, loose leash walking and sniff walks as well, but cues are body language (and somewhat lax lol)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Barron

Leash training, thoughts

When I first adopted Barron, I took him to a doggy obedience class. They used a leash that went around his whole body (neck and then again chest) It could pull tight, but was not like a choker or something. At first he wanted to pull me around the block, but this really helped. They had me hold the leash and dog really close to my side. As we walked, I kept repeating "heel, heel, heel" and when he tried to pull, I would tug him back gently, and repeat this. I would also offer up a piece of hotdog that I had in a ziplock. It took a week, but he now will heel even without a leash. I still think a leash is best just in case they find something more interesting IE: lizard, squirrel, etc and take off into traffic.

I understand it takes longer to walk your dog when they want to smell everything, but this keeps them mentally active, and I know Barron looks forward to our walk when I get home, and exploring all the new scents and previous passer-by friends.

All the best

Anyone have any good links/tips for leash training? I thought we were doing pretty well without any training since when he is on-leash he was staying right with me no problem, but lately he has gotten "stubborn" and while he doesn't try to run around ahead of me and such, his single focus outside has become "find and eat" (grass...flower...crumb...) and I don't exist when asking him to "let's go" or "this way" which was what got his attention previously. When he has decided he is good and done sniffing..then he will listen. lol

What am I missing that I need to work on? I don't really know where to start.

Thanks!