Itchy boy?

sherlock

Hey guys! Long time no talk, I had to send my laptop to be fixed. Finally got it back, hooray!

Question: Watson has a super itchy spot on his back/side, kind of between his hip/midsection. He's constantly chewing on it, and I can tell because he fur is always mussed up in one spot.

I've looked him over several times and I never see any bugs or outside irritants. And I don't think it's any kind of allergy since it's just in one spot. (He is on a new food, but it's wheat/soy/corn-free kind.)

Is it possible that maybe it's just from his winter coat coming in? At this time last year he was still growing out of his puppy fluff and into his "big-boy" coat, so his winter coat was coming in at the same time, but I don't remember him being overly itchy.

Thoughts?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sounds like maybe he's got a hot spot starting...

Try feeding him moisture rich foods like canned, raw or at least float his kibble in warm water. Seems he's had a few bouts of itchy skin? Or maybe I'm thinking about a different dog. Anyway, try the moisture, often dry skin and dandruff are resolved with a moisture rich diet. if the spot doesn't get better, you can get hot spot remedies.

sherlock

Awesome, thanks! The only other times he's been itchy it was due to fleas, so I've been a bit stumped since I haven't seen anything on him.

I will definitely soak his kibble. I've also heard that mixing a bit of olive oil in with food can help, do you know if there's any truth in that?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yup, oils can help, but I'd be more inclined to give him salmon oil and vitamin e (always supplement vit e if supplementing salmon oil) as olive oil is a veg based fat.

sherlock

Okay thanks. We don't have salmon or vitamin e, so I'll try extra water in the food first and get those if that doesn't help. It's been a fairly new problem, so maybe it's from the new food? But more likely I think it's just the changing weather. Texas is very hot and humid in the summer, and we're finally getting cooler temps and a bit less humidity, and in the winter the air is pretty dry (and wrecks havoc on my sinuses.)

babysis

Sounds like a hot spot from the weather changing. Dry skin. Or his winter coat is coming in. Have you tried using a humidifier in your place? I have to use one with a woodstove in the winter time because the air gets dry and Baby scratches like no tomorrow. Vitamin e works wonders! Olive oil can help but it might take a while.

sherlock

Thanks! We don't have a humidifier (it hasn't gotten too dry yet, but I'll probably have to get one soon because I have terrible allergies in the fall.

sherlock

Alright, I've got him started on some olive oil, and I'm going to buy some vitamin E when I go grocery shopping this week.

But how much should I use (with both the oil and the E?) I don't want to drench his food, but I also want to make sure he's actually getting enough. I've been using a medicine dropper to put it on his food, not sure exactly how much though because it doesn't have measurement.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well, you want to start slow, as adding oils can cause diarrhea. An eighth of a teaspoon once a day is enough at first. Give it a couple of weeks then add in an eighth of a teaspoon on his second meal. That's for the olive oil. With vitamin E you will want less. Stuff made for dogs'll have the appropriate dosages, but you may want to do an internet search on dosages of human vit E.

amparra

What food are you feeding? Sometimes a change in food can cause some itchiness that subsides after a few weeks. He could also be sensitive to an ingredient even though its grain-free/corn-free.

sherlock

He's on Rachael Ray Just 6. The main ingredient is lamb meal, which is something he's never had before (before this he was on either chicken- or beef-based Rachael Ray Nutrish.)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
My pet-foodie side is coming out.... sorry in advace...

That stuff is garbage and has all sorts of highly allergenic ingredients.

sherlock

Well it's the best stuff I can afford @ just under $10 for 6 lbs. He was on the Nutrish and I decided to bump him up a tiny step since the Nutrish still has corn in it.

I just try to remind myself that, yes, they have super fancy healthy dog food, but most dogs do just fine being on Pedigree/Iams/Purina their whole lives.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I buy a food that doesn't have bad ingredients, or even iffy ones, that has no by products, grains or toxins and is only $17 for 10 lbs. There are better foods out there, in your price range, that aren't garbage. Yes, I do spend alot on my pets, but I like doing so, I don't have to, and still buy decent food. What about Kirkland food. it's less than $30 for 40 lbs? Price per pound is alot cheaper than the stuff you're feeding.

Ok I'm done now, don't want to piss you off lol. I wobt even comment on the iams/pedigree/purina thing lol

amparra

I agree, the food may be whats causing his problems. I know you're trying to do the grain-free thing but thats going to be more expensive than grain inclusive food. There is nothing wrong with grain-inclusive food if you pick the right stuff.

For instance, not grain free and slightly outside your budget but how about Fromm Gold Small Breed. I think I was paying $12.00 for a 5lb bag. They are a reputable company and have never had a recall.

Lily ate Fromm for most of her puppyhood and just recently we switched her to Earthborn so that both dogs would be on the same food. Its pricey when you buy the 5lb bags but the 28lb bags I believe come out to $1.70 a pound which is only about a few cents more than you are paying per pound for the Rachel Ray.

The 5 lb bags are actually the biggest rip-offs when you do the math. I know its not ideal to have a bag of food open for so long. But if price is a big factor in your dog food selection, buy the bigger bags, portion out 5 lbs and store the rest in a cool dry place.

sherlock

I'll try looking into Kirklands or Fromm. I just know that whenever I look at Blue or similar brands (there was one a friend recommended, don't remember exactly which), they'll be like $20 for 5lbs. That's kind of redic.

I also usually buy small bags 1) to not have open bags for so long but also 2) because we have some kitchen bugs (so nasty) that we can't seem to get rid of, so I don't want them getting in his food. But I may just buy a big tupperware thingy to hold it.

sherlock

Where can I find those brands? Or do you recommend any other brands that aren't crazy pricey? We've got a petco right up the street but I didn't see those on the website.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Kirkland is found at Costco, fromm is usually only specialty pet stores. Petco doesn't carry it. Blue is a retarded price for an inferior product, imo. I will not feed that one either

Last edited:

sherlock

Grr, and of course we don't have a costco here. Or any specialty pet stores. I'll see what I kind find though. Google is my friend.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Hmmm, that sucks. I do find Fromm rather expensive, but it is a food I'll feed. The cheapest food I will feed, and the one I was telling you about is Horizon Pulsar. It's great food for a great price. But I highly doubt you'll find it anywhere. It's rather new on the market, and not widely known. Personally, if you can find someone that makes a trek to Costco and can pick up a bag for you every couple of months, that really is the absolute best food on a strict budget. Even their grain free line is cheap as heck. And they have a fish based grain free food. I think it's called Natures Domain or something like that. $35 for 40 lbs... too bad it's made by Diamond, or I would feed it myself!