Is my dog too skinny?

Run ToTo Run

My doxie has always had a small appetite since he was little. I'd give him about a little over half cup of dog food twice a day and he'll leave some in his bowl every time. When I've taken him to the vet for his shots or sick visit, the vet has never said anything about his weight.

I've grown up with dachshunds and they were always on the larger side - mainly because my mom would over feed our dogs with table scraps.

My dog only gets table scraps when my toddlers (1 and 2 years old) drop food on the floor.

He has been digging holes in our backyard lately and I've noticed him getting skinnier. He's always been thin but I can see his spine. It's scaring me!

Attachments

Last edited:

nola

My doxie has always had a small appetite since he was little. I'd give him about a little over half cup of dog food twice a day and he'll leave some in his bowl every time. When I've taken him to the vet for his shots or sick visit, the vet has never said anything about his weight.

I've grown up with dachshunds and they were always on the larger side - mainly because my mom would over feed our dogs with table scraps.

My dog only gets table scraps when my toddlers (1 and 2 years old) drop food on the floor.

He has been digging holes in our backyard lately and I've noticed him getting skinnier. He's always been thin but I can see his spine. It's scaring me!

Honestly, I can even see his ribs or hips. Can you get a standing side shot? If I can't see my girl's last few ribs and easily feel hips and spine I cut her food back.

Run ToTo Run

Sure! Ignore the grass! We haven't mowed it in a week and a half.

I had a family party last weekend at our house and a couple of my family members told me that he is too skinny.

*edited to add pictures

Attachments

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
He's absolutely perfect! I certainly wouldn't want him any bigger. It's very important to keep a doxie thin, so I think he's doing a very good job of moderating himself :) My 2 get about 1/3 of a cup a day, one's 8lbs and one's 9lbs So I think you're right on target

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
People always tell me mine are too skinny too... Everyone is so used to seeing overweight dogs that dogs that are the proper weight are viewed as too skinny :)

Run ToTo Run

Honestly, I didn't even realize they were suppose to be this skinny. I've had a dachshund my whole life and they were clearly overfed. My mom's current dachshund is 13 years old and obese. She has really bad back problems just like the dachshunds before her.

I'm glad to know that my dog, Kuzco knows the correct amount to eat. I guess I'll just cut back on how much I put in his bowl as he leaves half of it anyway.

jax's_mommy

Jax is the same. From the top, he looks super skinny. He's always been that way. I leave a small bowl down (his bowl holds about 2-2 1/2 cups of food, I do free feed) his bowl will last him almost 4 - 5 days. He gets scraps every now and then. But he's healthy at about 12-13 lbs now at 9months :)

Your doxie looks perfectly fine too me :)

Penny

He's perfect!
You can adjust the food over the course of the year so when the weather's hot and he's laying around more, cut back some. When the weather is great and he's more active, bump it up a bit.

I see plenty of doxies that are over weight and they raise their eyebrows at mine. It's not kind to over feed them and have their long backs carrying the extra weight. Gold stars for you!!

sherlock

I think that's just a doxie problem...with the way they are shaped, and the way their waists go WAY in, they always look super skinny, even when they're not.

nola

He looks GREAT! Just perfect! That's how a Doxie should look. This is my girl, Nola. People always tell me she's too thin, when she's ideal:

Yeah...she's got some serious muscle!:p

crystalclear1027

He looks like he is in perfect shape, like everyone else said,it is safer to keep these dogs lean. We always monitor Augie's food and measure it, we also soak his food in hot water, let it absorb and cool down to avoid stomach bloat. Our vet told us about it when our shorthaird pointer got the bloat from drinking water after she ate dry food.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Well bloat isn't an issue in Dachshunds, however, I always float their kibble anyway. It's good for other things as well :)

Dachloves201

I would not worry at all. He looks just fine to me. Both of my dachs stay between 9-11lbs. 11 is at the higher end when they are being piggies. Stormi loves to munch and steals food from his older brother and his little schnoodle sis when he can. When I wasn't being as vigilant about catching and stopping that Mr. Stormi got up to 14lbs! Way too large and I could tell it just by looking but my vet did not make that big of a deal of him being that size for his age either. Once I cut out his extra snacking he was right back down to the 10-11lb range. Seems like your doggie is just good at moderation naturally :) Lucky you. My oldest Gizmo is pretty good at self moderation and decides often that he will not eat at the usual times I set out feed for everyone if he is not hungry then so sometimes his bowl stays out a bit longer and he eats as he feels hungry. For your pup I'd say, If he's eating normally and playing well I wouldn't be too concerned. My Gizmo, I can feel his spine when I pet him; not so much see it, but he was a bit over 10lbs last time he was taken to the vet.

So appearances are deceiving when it comes to these little guys. I have been concerned myself that my guys were too small then get them on the scale at the vet and realize they are much heavier than my eyes lead me to believe! :)

Last edited:

AstrosFan

How Can You Tell?

So, how do you know if they are too skinny?
Charley is 5 months old and seems to be getting skinnier. I can see her ribs and bones. She eats the recommended amount twice a day so she is not underfed.

We are thinking of taking her to the vet to be checked out.

Here are some pics of her:
Dachshund Forum : Dachshund Breed Dog Forums - AstrosFan's Album: Charley - Picture

Dachshund Forum : Dachshund Breed Dog Forums - AstrosFan's Album: Charley - Picture

Last edited:

Hunter's Parade

He's in perfect shape.He may even lose something and still would be fine.Easiest way to check if god is under or over weight is palpate their ribs. They should be easy to feel,but they shouldn't be visible when you just look at it.If you have to push in to feel the ribs-he's over weight.