Introducing Annie Moon

CaseyKC

I have been absent from this group for several years. My beloved Libby crossed the Bridge due to a brain tumor and I was beyond devastated. Although I vowed I would never have another dog, as time passed, I knew Libby would always be in my heart, but I missed the love and companionship of a dachshund. Last September, I adopted a retired little red girl. Her name is Annie Moon. She is afraid of many things and barks at everyone but me. I do love Annie, but will never forget my Libby.

CaseyKC

Annie thinks it is that time of year when she needs a sweater to go outdoors. Because she was born and lived in Florida for the first four years of her life, she is not a fan of "brisk" weather and she really hates snow. I think she blamed me last year for all that cold, white stuff outdoors. The result of her dislike of the cold is a whole collection of winter sweaters and coats.

Attachments

CaseyKC

Annie is getting ready for Halloween. She loves wearing clothes, but is definitely not a fan of anyone coming to the door. She barks her head off when the door bell rings. I am not even sure what Halloween will be like this year because of Covid. We are prepared in case we get some trick or treaters, Annie with her costume, and I have a big bag of Snickers bars.

Attachments

CaseyKC

Your little girl is a cutie! Annie is currently on a diet and not happy about it. We have switched to a weight control kibble and frozen green beans for treats. Two or three times a week I add a tablespoon of pumpkin to her food to keep her regular. I think she believes that I have betrayed her, but lack of exercise due to staying at home during Covid restrictions has packed a couple of pounds on my now porky girl. She hates it, but it is hard for me to look into those pleading eyes and not give a calorie laden treat. "I am strong, I can do this", is what I keep telling myself.

CaseyKC

Annie is very cute!
Annie came to me at four years old from an AKC Breeder of Merit. As a young dog she was shown in the show ring, but became so anxious in the ring that her breeder decided to pull her from the ring. She had perfect conformation and was a real poster dog for the dachshund breed. After she was pulled from the show ring, she had two or maybe three litters, I am not exactly sure if it was 2 or 3, and her breeder decided to let me purchase her as a pet. Unfortunately, her breeder died less than two months after Annie came to live with me, but in the few times I telephoned her about what to do about Annie's barking, the breeder was mystified about why Annie would do this. I love her anyway, but I really wish I could find a solution to her barking.

CaseyKC

Annie and I have moved to another town in my state. I think she likes it here because it is all on one level, except for a basement. Her transition from out last home to our new home seems to have gone well, but I am now crating her in the basement when I have to leave the home because we are much closer to neighbors than we were in our previous home, and I do not want her barking, if someone rings the door bell, to disturb my new neighbors.

CaseyKC

I am still unpacking boxes and trying to find places to put things. Annie thinks it is so much fun to grab and shake the papers that were used for cushioning breakable items in the boxes.

CaseyKC

I may (or may not) have found an answer to Annie's non stop barking when someone enters my house. I bought a vibrating collar that also emits a whistling sound as soon as she hears the sound of a visitor knocking on the door, or ringing the door bell. I have only had it for three days, but so far,
it seems to be working to stop her non stop barking when someone enters our home. So far I am pleased with how it works. This is not a shock collar, just the vibration and whistle when she starts her barking routine. Since we moved, we don't have a lot of visitors, so I will let you know in a few weeks how it works long term.

CaseyKC

Annie got used to the vibrating collar, in less than a month. I was so disappointed. She didn't react at all, even when it began vibrating, even when I selected the highest setting, so I began investigating other methods to stop her hysterical, non stop barking. I contacted a "no bark" training behaviorist. After discussing Annie's barking on the phone with the behaviorist, I learned that her fee would be $1800 for a one time, 3 hour, home visit, and I could call her via telephone if Annie reverted to non stop barking when visitors entered my home. I thought this amount of money was way beyond my budget, and there was no guarantee that it would stop the barking, so I declined the behaviorist's services. About four months ago, I heard about a training device that produced an ultrasonic sound, beyond the range of human hearing, and as I found one on Amazon, for less than $20.00. I thought this was to good to be true, but purchased one anyway. The first few times I used it, the barking stopped immediately. Annie looked so surprised. It has now been about four months since I got the device, and now, all I have to do is show her the device, without even turning it on and she is quiet immediately. I am so pleased with my purchase, and can now have a pleasant visit whenever some on comes to the door and into my home.

Maple

That's great to hear that you were successful in stopping your dachshund from barking. I'm curious, do you happen to know what type of device you used to stop her barking? When you used it, did you notice any signs of discomfort from your dog? I'm wondering if perhaps the sound or vibration might have been new to her, or if it caused any pain. I'm also curious if the vibrating collar could potentially cause any harm on the highest setting, although it's possible that it didn't bother her if she continued to bark. Of course, I could be mistaken, so I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on the matter.