How you get to walk two doxies at a time?.

kornygerm

We recently got a new dachshund girl and since i have walk kawfee before, he is already used to the leash.I know both dogs should be next to you or behind but never on front, so its a little hard when one cant keep the rhythm and i would not like to walk one first and then come back for the other one to do the same as its time consuming. I was wondering if any of you who have been through the same how did you accomplish this?.

Another issue its loose dogs over here, but i have followed some of Cesar millan videos and do some reading, and i think i will be ok with enough guts and something to defend ourselves like a repellent or walking stick.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
First, congrats on the new Doxie! Pics if you can!

I hate Cesar, so would never recommend his methods to anyone. I would look into Clicker Training, if you want a great training method that does not rely on aggression (from the human) Clicker Training is a pain/stress free method of training in which you motivate your dog to listen to you because it wants to, not because it is too scared to do otherwise. Karen Pryor Clickertraining

I walk 5 dogs at once, and have few problems. I walk my 2 dogs that are trained to heel (trained seperately before walking with the rest) on my left. Zoe is on a retractable out front (I hate retractable leashes, but Zoe is an abused, very fearful dog, and seems to need the length to feel safe) and the 2 Doxie's walk on 6' leashes on my right. Mouse tends to drag along behind, and Boo is still a bit unpredictable on a leash, but is getting there.

I do train each of my dogs seperately, and I dont require a heel, all the time, but their leashes MUST be loose. when loose leash walking, the only requirement is to not pull. Walking in front is fine, as long as the leash is not tight. Dogs like to sniff and wander, I do not require them to be robots.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sam and Molly just figured it out on their own. We walk them together and Sam walks infront with Molly behind and me beside them. We have to retractable leashes and they are handy. It allows them more freedom to sniff and explore while as the same time give us the ability to limit the travel of the leash while near a busy street or on a city sidewalk.

gpmum2

I take my old GSD X and my mini out together on the lead. As Buzz is old he just plods along in front of me but on a lose lead and Bernie just walks or uns beside him.

I prefer Bernie out in front as I can see him and don't trip over him, as he is only just getting the idea about staying away from peoples feet!!!

Good luck, I am sure they will sort themselves out. I also have clicker trained all my dogs. None have done any particular tricks as such, but all sit, lay down and come on command & wait which I am happy with. They are all just pets not into showing or anything :)

kornygerm

@DeafdDogs why do you hate Cesar Millan?just curious.
I have look into clicker training and it seems like a inexpensive method.

Right now The female's collar ring broke so i cant put her the leash on anymore lol. I need to get her another collar. So i'm just walking kawfee for now. The thing with my neighborhood are big loose dogs that may try to hurt but luckily that has not happen yet. Now this evening i walked him to a different route through this dirt trail and once i turned my back i see small rocks being thrown. I turned around and this kid wanted to hit my dog.:mad: i gave him a dirty look and just walked away. Thats the kind of people that give mexicans a bad name lol.

I cant wait to take him to a park in california.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I dislike the methods that Cesar uses. I don't believe in force training. Forcing a dog to obey because it's scared to do anything else is not the way to have a good bond... I want my dogs to listen because they want to, I get a quicker response that way.

I don't believe in the pack theory' Dogs are not wolves, infact a dog pack behaves more like a coyote pack than a wolf pack. Dogs are not co-operative hunters, and a dog is not static in its place within the social hierarchy. Besides that, dogs know we're not dogs, why pretend we are?

I don't believe in flooding. I think that putting a terrified dog into a situation it's terrified of is a rediculous thing to do, you can make the dog considerably worse, and correcting a dog for showing fear is going to cause alot of problems later on.

I don't believe in e-collars (shock collars), prong collars, choke collars or physical corrections. Why would you want to cause your dog pain? It's been proven that training a dog using adversive training methods is slower, and less effective than using positive methods.

There are some things about Cesar I like, his focus on exercise, for one. I like his emphasis on engaging a dogs nose before sight or sound, and I like his use of calm energy.

Here is a website for getting started with Clicker TrainingKaren Pryor Clickertraining and if you can get it, this is a fantastic book on clicker training: "Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor

I clicker train all my dogs, including my deaf dogs... though I use an LED click light for my Doxies, and a thumbs-up for Scout (she's obsessed with lights and reflections)

kornygerm

I dislike the methods that Cesar uses. I don't believe in force training. Forcing a dog to obey because it's scared to do anything else is not the way to have a good bond... I want my dogs to listen because they want to, I get a quicker response that way.

I don't believe in the pack theory' Dogs are not wolves, infact a dog pack behaves more like a coyote pack than a wolf pack. Dogs are not co-operative hunters, and a dog is not static in its place within the social hierarchy. Besides that, dogs know we're not dogs, why pretend we are?

I don't believe in flooding. I think that putting a terrified dog into a situation it's terrified of is a rediculous thing to do, you can make the dog considerably worse, and correcting a dog for showing fear is going to cause alot of problems later on.

I don't believe in e-collars (shock collars), prong collars, choke collars or physical corrections. Why would you want to cause your dog pain? It's been proven that training a dog using adversive training methods is slower, and less effective than using positive methods.

There are some things about Cesar I like, his focus on exercise, for one. I like his emphasis on engaging a dogs nose before sight or sound, and I like his use of calm energy.

Here is a website for getting started with Clicker TrainingKaren Pryor Clickertraining and if you can get it, this is a fantastic book on clicker training: "Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor

I clicker train all my dogs, including my deaf dogs... though I use an LED click light for my Doxies, and a thumbs-up for Scout (she's obsessed with lights and reflections)
Hello well just a lil update, i began to walk both of my dogs at the same time. The girl its just getting the hand of it as if theres anything a cat, or a fenced dog barking she wants to go for it, so that interrupts the flow of the walk, but im working on it. The male, kawfee. its doing much better. I wish she could learn from him lol. And yep i dig through a lot of clicker training videos, so today i got myself a clicker and some treats. So i will just have fun with them and see what we can accomplish. Maybe i should take some pics lol.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Hello well just a lil update, i began to walk both of my dogs at the same time. The girl its just getting the hand of it as if theres anything a cat, or a fenced dog barking she wants to go for it, so that interrupts the flow of the walk, but im working on it. The male, kawfee. its doing much better. I wish she could learn from him lol. And yep i dig through a lot of clicker training videos, so today i got myself a clicker and some treats. So i will just have fun with them and see what we can accomplish. Maybe i should take some pics lol.
Here's a great bunch of video's on Clicker Training YouTube - kikopup's Channel

And here's my little Mouse... Some of the tricks she knows
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TTxKwzjhg]YouTube - Mouse Tricks[/ame]