• In the backseat

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • In the front seat

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Someone is holding the dog during rides

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

vizzla

How do you keep your dog when he/she is in the car?

We have a very very smal car without a space for a cage in the back. So today Alf rides in a craschtested- harness (Allsafe) in the backseat. But this week we hopefully vill get our new bigger car (a subaru XV) so we will get him a crashtestted cage in the back.

Craschtested harness or cages are more expensive here in sweden but they are worth it. The dog doesnt get thrown around, the dogs weight dubbels or more (?) in a frontal crasch. You will get 100 of kilos of dog trown through the windsheild from the backseat if the dog isnt "locked down".

But I must be honest. If we drive short ways we doesnt always but the harness on, he just rides in the backseat. That is not good. Even in low speed a crash can be fatal..... But with the cage in the back we will always have him safe in the car!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I have a truck, so my dogs all sit on the front seat. My big guy in a seatbelt harness, but the little ones are free (bad I know, but I'm NOT putting them in a crate in the back of the truck!)

Steph

Ree has a seatbelt harness and rides in the co-pilot seat. He won't stay in the backseat by himself, unless he's in his carrier (which also belts in) and even then he lets me know that he's not impressed being in the back.

We put ours in harnesses that are attached to the middle seatbelt (bench seat of a truck). I think we are fooling ourselves about their safety, however, siince the both sit in our laps as we travel.

Lots of nose art on the inside of the windows.

crazyeyez

HOWDY!!
i'm driving, so usually on the wifes lap. funny one is the cat. he would whine and meow the whole trip in the carrier, so we let him out. he usually curls up under the back seat of my crew cab P/U...

ILoveLucy

In a kennel strapped to the roof of the car. Duh!

KIDDING!! :D She rides in the front sometimes and the back other times. Wherever she can have her own AC vent(s). She prefers the front though. I don't have a seatbelt harness. But I do drive more carefully when she's in the car.

Doxmom

Front Seat

We took our very first car ride today (not counting the day I brought Bree home). He was amazingly well behaved and sat quietly on the front passenger seat until I picked up my husband at work. Then Bree sat in my lap on the way back home. Maybe this is just beginners luck, though, since all of my other dogs were quite 'animated' in cars..Bree is still trying to impress me, since he doesn't want to return to his breeders, where he was one of about seventeen doxies!

Ours usually nap when we travel long distances. For short distances, we get the nose art thing going. They start getting excited when we approach places they've been before, like the vets, or home.

Its fun to watch when they sit up in unison and move their noses toward the A/C vents as we pass something of interest, like road kill or cattle. They'll point their noses into the air flow until long after we've passed. I'll never have smelled anything, but will know we just passed something of interest.

kornygerm

how do you deal with your doxie if they have motion sickness and they are prone to puking on the car seat?it happened once to me, and my familis is now not so eager to take the make to a trip with us lol.