Hi, my name is Heather. Can someone please help!

otis

I have a 2 year old neutered dachshund named Otis. He is so aggressive, and I dont know what I can do to get him to stop. If is sees anyone he starts barking, if he hears anything he barks. When I take him for a walk he goes nuts when anyone comes near us. I took him to the vet and the receptionist got a little close and he lounged at her, he does that to anyone that comes close. I think he is going to end up bitting someone. He pees on my bed. He is awful with people, but he loves other dogs. The weird thing is, his best friends are my to rabbits (always 100% supervised) they play and sleep together. I treat otis great. He gets lots of food and treats, and has over 50 toys. Within the last 3 weeks he has started chewing holes in the carpet (I rent so its a big problem). He also as started to distroy his toys. If anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. The people I bought him from gave him to me at 7 weeks. He only likes my close family members, my case manager whos been around since he was a puppy. And there is like 5 other people he tollerates. Its around 15 people that he will let near him (sometimes). He loves my niece and nephews, but doesnt like other kids.

Last edited:

sdw1961

Hello Heather from South Carolina. Welcome to the forum.

Hang in there and don't give up on Otis. It can be worked out with the correct methods, patience and time then you'll have a lovely Doxie on your hands.

I'm sure you will find the advice you need on the forum. I've received tons of help from DeafDogs (Sara) and I'm sure she can advise you as well.

Make sure to check back often and keep us updated on his progress.

otis

Thanks so much. I really hope someone can help. I live in a apartment complex, so there are alot of people around. If keeps the chewing and barking up or he bites someone they will make me give him away or evict me. Not to many places around here will rent to you if you have a dog, and I know they wont is they hear how naughty he is.

sdw1961

I know it's difficult, but don't give up on Otis. Sara will be able to give you some good advice when she gets on.

You may want to repost in General Training & Obedience

She helped me tremendously on a couple of topics Aggressive Bitting and Territorial Issue

We have implemented her advice and are already seeing positive results. though it's still going to take persistence, patience, I'm sure that in time the unwanted behavior can be corrected with the positive reinforcement.

Hang in there...you and Otis are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sandra

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

I'll reply to your issues on the other thread as it's in the appropriate place and the advice given may help someone else. :)

We'll see what we can do to help.