Help! My Doxie has a tense stomach!

Doby

For the past month we've visited two vets and both could not figure out the problem. One day he started diarrheaing and continued for a couple of days before we took hi to the vet. The vet gave us some medication while we made boiled chicken and rice to feed him for a few days, but his poop was still not solid and his stomach tensed whenever we touched around his abdomen. We were worried since it became like that for more than two weeks and took him to another vet who did a blood test check and several others to see if he had an infection inside. The tests came out negative and the vet said to see him again if the problem with his stomach continued. He has a day left on his medication but still he yelps whenever we touch his lower back region.

The meds he's been taking are Pro-pectalin chewable tablets and Metronidazole 250mg tablets.

He walks fine, sleeps on his side, his poop is hardening gradually, and eats and drinks fine. I am so confused as to what might be wrong?! Has anyone else had this problem??

He is a three year old miniature long-haired doxie. Please help!

babysis

Oh no! That is never good to hear! I can imagine what you are going through with him in his condition. I went through something similar back in October. It happens so suddenly and leaves you at a loss for words! Sometimes, it is a gastrointestinal issue that can cause the stomach to harden. Has he been checked for worms? Even if there isn't worms or say there was, it can tear at their insides and wreak havoc on their little systems. I'd also have a vet go back and re-check to make sure that there isn't a blockage in the system. Get an x-ray or ct scan.

Talk to your vet about Science Diet ZD or ID You can't find it in the stores- Here are two links to give you an idea of what they are:

i/d® Canine Gastrointestinal Health - Canned
z/d® Canine ULTRA Allergen-Free - Dry

It might help for him to have something easy on his system. I'd be cautious with chicken and rice because it could aggravate his system and cause more hardening. I wish I could be of more help to you! Best of luck!

Doby

Oh no! That is never good to hear! I can imagine what you are going through with him in his condition. I went through something similar back in October. It happens so suddenly and leaves you at a loss for words! Sometimes, it is a gastrointestinal issue that can cause the stomach to harden. Has he been checked for worms? Even if there isn't worms or say there was, it can tear at their insides and wreak havoc on their little systems. I'd also have a vet go back and re-check to make sure that there isn't a blockage in the system. Get an x-ray or ct scan.

Talk to your vet about Science Diet ZD or ID You can't find it in the stores- Here are two links to give you an idea of what they are:

i/d® Canine Gastrointestinal Health - Canned
z/d® Canine ULTRA Allergen-Free - Dry

It might help for him to have something easy on his system. I'd be cautious with chicken and rice because it could aggravate his system and cause more hardening. I wish I could be of more help to you! Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the reply! For now we have decided to take him to the vet and do an x-ray scan... Whatever the problem is I am praying that it will be curable :(

babysis

I'm hoping and Praying for you. Take it as something good that he is moving around, eating, sleeping, etc. He's young and sounds like a fighter. :)

Doby

Is there an update? Please let us know what's happening.
Thank you so much to everyone's concerns! I was so caught up in what what was happening outside that I completely forgot about this thread! :(

It turns out that the vets incorrectly diagnosed and after an x-ray scan we found out my poor Doby had been suffering from a herniated disc. Thankfully, we were able to give him the proper meds and he seems to be loads better. I hadn't known this was the problem since he didn't slouch at all and he yelped even when we were merely touching his stomach region... it didn't help at all that two vets also gave us the wrong diagnosis :mad:

For now he is resting a lot, and I am just so thankful to know what had been causing the pain. If anyone else had such an injury for their dog, I would be grateful to know any tips on recovering. He's our first Doxie so the thought of any spinal problems freaks me out. :eek:

Penny

A tense stomach can indicate back pain but with the diarrhea, it's not shocking they thought of stomach issues.

There is a website dedicated to dogs with spinal cord injuries.

Dodgerslist: canine back problems home page

Crate rest needs to be 8 weeks, carry out to potty, carry back and crate. Keep him in a leash when out to potty and use an extra leash to support his back end.

8 weeks is recommended by the folks on dodgerslist because doxies who have been released from crate rest at 6 weeks have re-injured themselves. Best to be safe than to have to start from scratch or worse, have a worse injury than the first.

You can bring the kennel around the house where people are to help him feel he's still part of the family. Cut back some of his daily ration of kibble so he doesn't put on weight while resting. No point to putting on the pounds to stress the back more!

If you have a vet that is certified in acupuncture, you can see them as soon as possible.

Video below, yes, she is wagging her tail...

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things are going.

Penny

I wanted to add that Georgia's back end was wobbley but she still had bladder and bowel function and could wag her tail. Be aware that things can still go bad and they can become paralyzed. Hope for the best.

Doby

I wanted to add that Georgia's back end was wobbley but she still had bladder and bowel function and could wag her tail. Be aware that things can still go bad and they can become paralyzed. Hope for the best.
Thank you so much for the tips! I'm a little sad that Doby will not be able to roam around like he used to for about eight weeks but it is all for the best in the end... So far the only problem is with the meds... he just hates taking them :(

Thank you again for your help!

Penny

Does he like snap peas? Peanut butter? this might work...

Close up with peanut butter..

Since PD's problem with pancreatitis, we've had to find something besides peanut butter. I like the snap peas idea. Right now, we are using bananas.

PD has really become a difficult dog to diagnose, since he now has both stomach and back issues. It is just tough to know what needs to be treated.

Good luck Doby. Prayers for you both.

Doby

Does he like snap peas? Peanut butter? this might work...

Close up with peanut butter..

Since PD's problem with pancreatitis, we've had to find something besides peanut butter. I like the snap peas idea. Right now, we are using bananas.

PD has really become a difficult dog to diagnose, since he now has both stomach and back issues. It is just tough to know what needs to be treated.

Good luck Doby. Prayers for you both.
Thank you both for the suggestions! I've used a banana for him since I haven't made a trip to the market yet for snap peas :p

Again, thank you so much for all the help and I shall leave you all with a photo of Doby!:

AmandaL

Thank you so much to everyone's concerns! I was so caught up in what what was happening outside that I completely forgot about this thread! :(

It turns out that the vets incorrectly diagnosed and after an x-ray scan we found out my poor Doby had been suffering from a herniated disc. Thankfully, we were able to give him the proper meds and he seems to be loads better. I hadn't known this was the problem since he didn't slouch at all and he yelped even when we were merely touching his stomach region... it didn't help at all that two vets also gave us the wrong diagnosis :mad:

For now he is resting a lot, and I am just so thankful to know what had been causing the pain. If anyone else had such an injury for their dog, I would be grateful to know any tips on recovering. He's our first Doxie so the thought of any spinal problems freaks me out. :eek:
I recently went through this same thing. At the end of May I took my boy in for sore/tense abdominal area. The vet did an xray and lab work and diagnosed him with inflammed intestines. So a month and half later he (just 2 days ago) started loosing control of his back legs. I took him into a different vet and found out it was a back issue this whole time! He wasnt showing any problems with his back i.e touching or picking him up but only sore/trembling in his abdomen area. So now he is on crate rest, steroids, muscle relaxers and getting a laser treatment every day this week. Oh and he cant stand his rear end up on his own :(

Last edited: