Help any advise with feeding?

Hello, Just wanting to ask for some advise. We have 2 furry dachshund children, Heinz (the black & white one) is 8 years old, & Ressi Cup ( the brindle one) is 3 years old. All there lives we have feed them out of one bowl and have always left the bowl with food all day so they can eat when they want. Well we would like to get them slimmed down some and want to regulated what they eat more. Have separate bowls for them both. But I kinda feel mean, but I know it's for there own good. But how do I even begin? Thank you in advance for any advise.

Nell

Hi, if they have been "snacking" all day it might be easier to start them off with three small meals a day then slowly cut it to two. Morning, midday and evening would be best to start with then cut out the midday meal by just giving a biscuit.

First thing to do is establish how much each dog should have a day then divide it by three meals. If it was me I would start with the two bowls side by side and be there to monitor the feed time (to make sure they don't snack from each others bowls!!)

Anything that is not eaten in ten minutes should be picked up and not put back down. Remember they will be getting another meal in a few hours so they really wont come to any harm to go without for a bit. It will also make them more keen to clear their bowls at the next feed!

Good luck and remember you are doing the right thing too many doxies are overweight and it doesn't do their backs any favours either!

garyd

One of ours was becoming a little "portly" (nice way to say fat). Our vet recommended the exact same program. We went from 1 bowl to 2 and now we know they are getting the nutrition they need and not "robbing" from the other.

Penny

Why would you feel mean?

How much will you be feeding them?

Measure out the portion for the day and feed them from there, and when it's done, they are done. If you want 3 meals and a few for treats, it can come from that portion. I would take a measurement around their chest and waist and write their numbers on the calendar and check again in a month. With their weight too. They will be just fine, try not to feel guilty.

Penny

Do they like playing with balls? I am very fortunate that mine do. Here's my 3 and the one in the front has passed her 13.5 yr mark, the red boy is 11. Like people, they age well with regular exercise.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Weight control is so important for our little shorties. To start off with they probably wont eat alot in one sitting. I have had to train alot of dogs to eat when fed. It can take up to 3 days of being tough, but they'll learn. 10 minutes is way longer than I give... new fosters and such get 5 minutes. Whatever isn't eaten is then picked up and not fed' till the next meal (2x a day) it wont hurt them to go hungry for 12 hours and they will eat better the next time. I would cut out all treats and tid-bits during this transition time so they are hungry. Don't give in, and you will have good eaters!

Do they like playing with balls? I am very fortunate that mine do. Here's my 3 and the one in the front has passed her 13.5 yr mark, the red boy is 11. Like people, they age well with regular exercise.

Mine LOVE balls,
we actually have to keep the balls but away until play time and we spell out the word ball, can't say it infront of them or they go nuts.

Last edited:
We want to say thank you for all your advise. And let you all know we started our new style of eating this morning. Just want to make sure how much do I give them at each feeding time? Thanks yo all .:D

Last edited:

Nell

It really depends on what you are feeding?

Most should give a guideline according to weight etc, there are also some special diet feeds out there that might help. It might be worth asking your vet what he would recommend.

Someone on the forum gave me a good tip of frozen beans for snacks (no fat content) and one of mine loves them the other wont go anywhere near them! lol!