HELP, 9mo. old dachshund peeing on the table!

desireef

I am new to this forum, but I am in need of some help! We have a 9 month old dachshund and he was fairly quick to potty train and crate train, but for the last couple of months he will get up on my kitchen table and pee on it. Pretty much every time there hasnt been anything on the table. I will go upstairs to grab something and come down and there will be pee on the table. I dont understand it, I am a stay at home mom so I am home almost always and if I'm picking up or dropping off the two that are in school the dogs are in their kennels. I have tried the firm NO, i have told him no and brought him outside, i have told him no and put him in his kennel....nothing works!! We are looking at getting him fixed and seeing if that will help (i know it is not a guarantee, our vet told us that sometimes its hit or miss)...i just dont know what else to do! I can deal with an occasional accident on the floor, but this is our kitchen table, we eat there, my kids color there....please help!

MatthewLP

Okay, this is obviously behavioral and male territory issues. There is a underline cause and reaction at work here.

at 9 months he's now asserting dominance and territory. Being fixed regardless will help. "it may or may not cure the problem all together" however it will prevent from other stronger behavioral issues from starting until the bad, "naughty" behavior is put back into check. Once he's fixed you'll be responsible to fix the bad behavior for awhile.

In my experience in dealing with Doxies all my life. I still believe in positive reinforcements as a training aid in good behavior. However with Doxies with bad, naughty and mischievous behavior problems such as this, a non violent but firm hand may be needed. Potty training for doxies are not easy and their stubborn behavior is even a harder one at times.

asserting dominance over your dog being the pack leader is what's required. Not only is he marking territory over every other dog but also over you as well and that's just a "NO NO".

My Doxies know and understand perfectly I'm the pack leader, master and maker of the food, water, care and love. They know everything is a privilege beyond food, water, potty and vet care.

I use Crate training until its over and they have free run of the house with the clear understanding what that privilege means. But I have used their crate when I no longer need it as "Doggie jail"

Let me just say I support crate training and never for punishment while puppies are in their development stages. But when I'm done crate training I have used it as "Doggie Jail" because my doxies have free run of the house and sleep in the bed Ect. So being put back into crate "Doggie Jail" is there ultimate time out or grounding from me.

Now if you use your crate with all you dogs regardless of age I wouldn't suggest using your crate as doggie jail as this would be sending mixed messages and may have to find a better way of asserting dominance.

All my Doxies know what I expect. I rule with a firm but kind and gentle hand.

People here may have their own approach and ways is getting the same job done and there is no right or wrong way but rather the way the works for you and your Doxie. What I do know that Doxies need a firm but kind hand and lots of structure.

Kia my 4 month Male and I are having some adolescent issues right now. I've had to turn him on his side or back and say "NO" in a submissive role to make sure he understands that I'm in charge not him.

Just like children do everything with Love and never Violence.

Matthew L. Plummer
{Kansas City, Mo.}

Last edited: