hello

judy

Hi my name is judy from nc I am new to this site and need some successful advice about potty training my dachsund she is 5 months old

JPsMOM

What is your potty training routine right now? What problems are you having?
The most important advice I have been given is BE CONSISTANT!! With my guy, he didn't stop routinely trying to potty in the house until we made going outside his only option. We took him out many many times a day, made a fuss about how exciting going "outside" (our potty word) was going to be while we got his leash on etc... And once we were out there it was "okay! Potty! " and standing firm until he did. Once he did, we made another big fuss about how wonderful it was...gave him a treat.. Etc. If we missed and he went in the house, we wouldly calmly (that's important) scoop him up and bustle him out talking about "outside", then same process. He occasionally will wander toward the door and I immediately pick up as if he were asking to go outside, same routine I use every time I take him out. my hopes are that he will pick up that going to the door = outside.
Sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Nell

Hi and welcome from the UK!

Can you give us a bit more information, how long have you had your pup and what have you tried so far?

GJBain

Potty training a Dachshund puppy is no easy task and harder if it was a rescue that was not trained. You have to be consistant with them. take them outside to go as often as you can. Especially after they ate or drank, usually in the 15 minutes to 30 minute range and sometimes sooner then that. When you take them out and they goyou need to praise them verbally and or with treats. I personally don't like the treat method because it has them looking for treats/food all the time and it promotes weight gain. Need to have low fat treats. I would try praising them as we do with ours and go the treat method if that does not work. the key part of porrt training a dachshund is consistancy. Take them out to the same place where they have gone before and keep them out there until they go. Weather is a whole different problem. Ours 5 month old loved going out in the snow but did not like the rain. We finally got over that hurl. Hope this helps some and good luck.

Frankie Bean

Like others have said - be consistent! We take our 7 month old outside at the same time (roughly) in the morning, afternoon and evening. We also have a "catch phrase" for her. For instance, we leave the house at 6:15 a.m., walk the same route, and when she pees we say, "Take care of business!" and then praise her excessively. I am certain that I look like a crazy person, but I am fine with that :)

The process is repeated a few hours later when my husband gets up, again mid-way through the day and twice more - upon my arrival home from work and then during an evening walk. We are outside A LOT!

We were concerned with potty training only because Frankie is a rescue and we weren't sure how she'd adjust, but she has been doing beautifully! (We've only had her for 3 weeks)

If she does potty inside, just calmly scoop her up and take her outside. If she potties again outside, praise her. I also use praise and pats more often then treats. I don't want her to associate going potty inside with a trip outdoors and a dog treat - if that makes sense.

Nell

Judy there is some good advice above. But to help you more please could you tell us:

1. Where is your puppy left when you are not there?
2. Where does she sleep at night?
3. How often is she taken out?
4. What is the max time she is left alone?
5. Does she eat well and is she healthy?
6 What have you tried so far?

I really think we need more information to be able to help you. If you post again on this thread everyone will be able to add suggestions.

judy

Hi I hope you have better luck than I have all day!I have been following you guy's amazing ideas! I have been lucky once or twice today! Just wanted you all to know that with being unable to get to the thread that said hello! To try and go there to see if that would work, never happen! This is the only way it seems like I can get in touch with anyone! Maybe my son can help me Sunday if he get's to come down! I will try to do what you all said and not give up, as they say Rome wasn't build in a day! I don't know about two day's! Thank's again for taking time out to help me! I ask you to keep me and my older dog and our little girl in your prayer's that it will all work out! I would never have thought it would have been this hard to join this community!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Nell

Judy,

This IS your original thread!

Sorry I really don't understand why you are having so much trouble answering our questions, you have sent me 4 private messages but still not answered my question or given any more information. We cant help you unless you tell us exactly what the problem is.

Please don't think I am being rude but I am not going to reply to any more of the private messages. Sooo hope you get this figured out and then we can support you in any way we can.

Last edited: