Hello from Rome GA

bhardy501

Hello everyone. I just joined the forum. We have 4 Dachshunds a 13 y/o male and and a 6 y/o, 3 y/o, and 2 y/o females. We are in need of advice on dealing with a dachshund with a back injury. Probably going to end up paralyzed in the rear legs and tail. Still in the process of doing the steroid treatments. The 13 y/o male had a similar issue and had a full recovery but I am afraid that our 6 y/o female isnt going to do as well. I have been looking at the wheelchair and caring for a dachshund with this problem. Where can I find good info and advice on this issue. I really would like to keep from having her put down she is such a good dog. As long as I know she isnt in pain then we can deal with the other issues. Sorry for such a long introductory post. Bill in Rome GA

Penny

This is not a long post!!
Please, do not even consider putting your girl down!! Even in a wheelchair they can have a wonderful life. Sometimes all that's needed is more time to heal.

Go to this website that is there for support for people dealing with spinal cord/back injuries on doxies and other breeds..

Dodgerslist: canine back problems home page

This website doesn't currently have any owners dealing with back injuries. There is another doxie pet forum that has a variety of doxies including those in wheel chairs. You might like to join and ask questions ..

http://dachsie.org/vbb/forum.php

Our Georgia had a back issue in Feb and she's doing fine now. We did the conservative crate rest and meds, and we have a vet here that specializes in acupuncture treatments, so we got that too. The sooner the better for that. I took a video of her sitting on my lap with the needles if you want to see. It's only 17 seconds long..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOGoAUaeX-4]Georgia getting acupuncture - YouTube[/ame]

Wishing your sweetie the very best.

schierling

Our little guy who is 12, has had 2 back surgeries. I let the vet do a couple of days of steroids each time and if I didn't see an immediate change we sent him to the surgeon. When it comes to the back, the sooner they get the surgery the better the chance they have of recovering full movement. My little guy has a little weakness in his back legs but he can still run and jump. He is arthritic and doesn't move as fast as he used to but at least he can move. With anything you do, time is of the essence.