Gizmo 'Gizmonster'

Dachloves201

They said you would know when it was time for your little one to head out to the bridge. I wasn't so sure, but then just as they said I knew....

Gizmo "Gizmonster" went peacefully today at 4:30 pm EST surrounded by me and my mother's love. He was loved in spirit as well today by my father & sisters. He gave me so many good years of friendship and unconditional love and touched quite a few people's hearts. Today he seemed like he was really ready. After his bath he just laid there peacefully while he was being dried by the blow dryer. After he was dry we sat together for a while and I played some tranquil nature sounds and pet him and cried and told him what a good boy he was. Then it was time to go so we got ready to leave the house but before leaving though Lady and Stormi were both clamoring at my legs and wanted to shower me with kisses before I left. Normally these two are rushing to the door, if I grab my purse and keys, and ready to get out and they "argue" with each other shortly after I close the door if I don't end up taking them with me. :p Today though, they just quietly followed me to the door and did not try to force their way out just quietly stood there as I walked out with Gizmo.

Gizmo and I went through the drive thru at Chic-fil-A and he got an Icedream cup. He loved the drive thru and ice cream. Today he was not very excited by going through the drive thru, which hurt because then I really knew this was the end it became so real at that moment. When we got his ice cream I parked and let him enjoy as much as he wanted, which was only about 3-4 bites, then we went to pick up my mother. She's usually the strong one in occasions like this and I'm glad I decided to have her along. When we got there Gizmo had one last bowel movement and was outside walking around albeit slowly toward my parents house. When he saw my mom exit the house he started to limp toward her holding up one of his front paws which is something he'd not ever done before then, I thought back to when we first got Gizmo and his first little accident was running into the corner of a cabinet and bruising his front leg where in he cried and limped a little and my mom was the one who was there and nursed him through that. I don't know if that's what his limping today was about but it's certainly interesting that he did that out of no where..... :confused: My little sisters got the opportunity to pet him and say goodbye as well. :)

All in all he was tired and I think truly he was ready, he sat quietly wrapped in his blanket in my arms, he allowed me to bestow all the kisses in the world on him. Funnily, he was never a super affectionate dog allowing or giving many kisses but lately he had been allowing lots of hugs and kisses. He also insisted my mom hold him for a bit too after a while he looked back at her for long time and my gut told me he wanted to go to her I told her this and so she took him he laid on her chest and looked back at me a few times then up at her and pretty well demanded to kissed by my mom which wasn't typical at all for him lol! After she gave him some kisses he then he looked back at me and I knew he was ready. I held him for a brief few moments and then the doctor joined us she gave him the shot I closed my eyes and then I knew, she didn't have to tell me even before she checked I started nodding my head as I felt he was gone and my heart started to physically hurt like a knot was being tied in my chest. She then confirmed what I knew and I got to hold him for some more time. My mother consoled me and then closed his eyes as best she could. Then I told her I was ready and she scooped him up from me to carry him outside.

It seemed so fitting that my mother was there, she was the first one he got to see as she picked him up from the breeder and now she was one of the last people he got to see before heading off to the Bridge and just as she was the person to bring him home as a puppy she was the one to carry him out to the crematory service today. Everything seems to come full circle as the vet he was at today was the vet he started out at when he was a puppy. :) Yin & Yang I think they call it?

The vet's office treated him with so much kindness and love even though he had not been there in over 8 years. The receptionists that he'd known in his short time back at that office came in and said their goodbyes and commented on what a good boy he was. So he got lots of love, care and well wishes before he left us.

I hope that on the other side of the bridge my other dachshund Tigger was there waiting for him to welcome him and to ask how I was. Both of those love bugs will be waiting for me on the other side.....;):)

I will see him again in a few days as the creamatory said they would be contacting me to return his ashes by Wed. or Thursday. I can't wait for him to come home and to put him in the window and open it up for the sun to come in so he can "bask" in it like he used to. :)

I love you Mo-Mo ♥♥♥♥

Gizmo the Love of my Life - 07/27/1999 - 08/05/2013

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
My heart hurts for you. This post was beautifully written and shows how much love you had for each other. I'm sitting here sobbing with my own memories of dogs lost brought to the forefront and all 4 of my pets climbing on me trying to figure out what's wrong.

Run free Gizmo.

Nell

Beautiful photos and what a lovely memory. I know how hard it is to be there but I'm so glad you were, I do hope you find some comfort in knowing he was loved and held right up to the end.

This has been such a tough time for you, please make sure you don't forget to look after yourself (and of course your other lovelies)

vizzla

Beautiful dog! So sorry for your loss but he is in a better place and you did everything to give him a good life. Remember him with love.

So beautiful pictures.

crystalclear1027

This was the most touching life story I have ever read, it bought me to tears many times reading Gizmo's journey to find peace and comfort that he well deserves, I feel like I have known him and will miss him too. Thank you for sharing this with all of us!

Penny

This was the most touching life story I have ever read, it bought me to tears many times reading Gizmo's journey to find peace and comfort that he well deserves, I feel like I have known him and will miss him too. Thank you for sharing this with all of us!
Yes.
I'm having tears, and sending hugs your way.

Dachloves201

My baby is back home. I miss him so much. He arrived in the most beautiful way. His display box is beautiful and they even clipped a piece of his hair for me and displayed it within his certificate. :) I also received a wonderful sympathy card for which I am very thankful.

He's now come to rest on the window sill along with my other boy Tigger. Now Gizmo too will get to bask in the sun like he loved.

Attachments

GJBain

My Samantha sits in our bedroom next to her big bed. I say good night to her every night. Today I picked her up and held her.

Attachments