First Puppy TRIM

gpmum2

Bernie is is now 5 1/2 months and has been and had his 1st visit to the groomers. When his coat is ready I want to have him hand stripped. His coat isn't ready for that yet, so just went to have his face, bottom & feet trimmed & tidied up.

The groomer said he behaved really well and has an excellent temperment :)

Since he came back he has woofed his late lunch down and now is sleeping the excitment off :)

The 1st piccie is the before & the other 2 are after

Attachments

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I hand strip my Terrier mix, Oliver, and was stripping my sister's Westie until she moved to Ottowa. Handstripping makes a wirehair look so good and proper, I LOVE the look! Are you going to do it yourself or have a groomer do it? It's relatively simple, but time consuming. My sister found a grooming supply store in Ottowa and they recommended this chalk stick that made it alot easier for Lauren to strip Annabelle. Bought one for me too, but I have yet to try it. I've also had a tip about using a natural Pummice Stone to help take care of the leftover wispy's. I have yet to try that too, but def. will (this tip came from an Irish Terrier group) I started stripping Annabelle at 5 months old, when I took her to her breeders for a lesson (for me).

gpmum2

I hand strip my Terrier mix, Oliver, and was stripping my sister's Westie until she moved to Ottowa. Handstripping makes a wirehair look so good and proper, I LOVE the look! Are you going to do it yourself or have a groomer do it? It's relatively simple, but time consuming. My sister found a grooming supply store in Ottowa and they recommended this chalk stick that made it alot easier for Lauren to strip Annabelle. Bought one for me too, but I have yet to try it. I've also had a tip about using a natural Pummice Stone to help take care of the leftover wispy's. I have yet to try that too, but def. will (this tip came from an Irish Terrier group) I started stripping Annabelle at 5 months old, when I took her to her breeders for a lesson (for me).

Sara..the idea when we looked into the breed was for me to do the handstripping and a local lady who shows at Crufts gave me a lesson and supposedly showed me how easy it is...or not in my case. I have arthritis in my fingers and tried using a medical glove, which was easier. I have taken him to to two groomers for suggestions and both have said that his coat isn't ready yet. Just need to keep it tidy, as their coats are all different. The breeder said he would only need to be stripped twice a year as they were breeding for coat and temperament. Fingers crossed I will master it.:)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Sara..the idea when we looked into the breed was for me to do the handstripping and a local lady who shows at Crufts gave me a lesson and supposedly showed me how easy it is...or not in my case. I have arthritis in my fingers and tried using a medical glove, which was easier. I have taken him to to two groomers for suggestions and both have said that his coat isn't ready yet. Just need to keep it tidy, as their coats are all different. The breeder said he would only need to be stripped twice a year as they were breeding for coat and temperament. Fingers crossed I will master it.:)
yup, you're right there, every dog is different! Oliver didn't get his first stripping 'till he was 8 months old, tho I had no idea how to go about it really, justread about it a bit and thought I'd try it. He gets done 2x per year too. Annabelle the Westie gets done 4-6 times per year, as they need to be done way more often, due to the long coat. and they are really hard to strip, not like Ollie is. I love the wire Doxies, and if I could find a deaf or blind one, I'd snap it up so fast!

I know what you mean about pain in the hands tho. I have tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel and Arthritis in my right hand, and it makes me very glad I dont have to strip Annabelle anymore... Ollie's hard enough!