feeding my puppy

poposwifey

proud wife and mommy
I posted this earlier but no response yet. My doxie is 10weeks old and im not sure how much food he should be getting. Can someone help me out?

MatthewLP

Welcome to the forum,

1st what kind or brand are you feeding your puppy? Are you feeding the puppy the adult dog food or puppy food?

2nd when you are feeding him how much are you giving him per day?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
ok so here's my advice. Feed a high quality food. If you can buy it in grocery stores, it's no good. You need a food that has no corn or wheat (I prefer no grains at all) with No by products, named meat meals (no meat by-product meal, no poultry by product meal, etc.) and fresh, named meat. So Chicken Meal, or chicken, or Beef meal or Beef etc, is what you want in the first two or three ingredients.

I also recommend people feed a variety of foods. Dogs are scavengers, and are not meant to eat the same thing day after day... I think that's why there are so many dogs with digestive issues, honestly. So either add some "extras" (table scraps, different types of canned foods etc) to the food daily, or feed several different kinds of foods. (I have 6 or 6 different kinds of dry food in my house, 3 or 4 different brands of canned food, plus mine get table scraps, or raw meat with meals now and then. The more variety you feed, the less they might be missing from their diets.

As to how much, we need to know how big your puppy is, how big he's supposed to get, and what brand he's on. I would also feed a young pup 3 times a day for awhile.

my 2 8lb adult Doxies get 1/3 of a cup 2x per day, with adjustments depending on their body condition

luvmydoxie

I posted this earlier but no response yet. My doxie is 10weeks old and im not sure how much food he should be getting. Can someone help me out?
Hello,

I have a ten week old mini as well. We have had him for a few weeks. He is on Blue Buffalo for puppies. He eats 3-4 times a day. Usually a little less than 1/4 cup at each feeding. I only leave his food down for 20-30 minutes. He get's distracted easily and wanders off. He has free range of water. If he eats all of his food at each feeding, he will only eat 3 times a day. Usually, that is not the case. He will leave 20% of his food most of the time. That is when he eats 4 times a day.

Best of Luck!