Doxies in wheelchairs

AmandaL

Hello
Im looking to see if anyone has experience with their doxie being in a wheelchair. My doxie is losing function of his back legs just recently to a bad back. He still has some feeling but he is not able to stand on his own. The vet has him on steroids, muscle relaxers and is doing a laser treatment for the next few days to see how he responds.

So if he were to become paralyzed and he is not in any sort of pain I would like to get a wheelchair for him. I dont know anyone that has experienced this or where to get one from. Im hoping someone can give me some info or stories if they have personally experience this with their doxie. What happens when he needs to potty or go #2? Thank you!

Penny

Hi and Welcome! You are more north than I am. Wow.
I am sorry you've found us under such difficult circumstances. I just went through this with Georgia in Feb. She had the wobbly walk and with some weeks of rest, slowly got her back legs going again.

I have photos of her acupuncture treatments and going potty using a spare leash as a sling to hold her back end up. If you want to see pics, let me know.

I can connect you up with folks that have cart doxies so you can chat.
Glad you're here.

AmandaL

Thanks Penny! Yes born and raised in Alaska :)

We lost one of our doxies Honey about 3 years ago to degenerative disc disease. Honey was in real bad shape and there wasnt much we could do to save her. Harley is my boy thats having problems and is Honeys brother. Same parents different liters.

This started Monday night and I brought him to the vet Tuesday so its still pretty new. But since I have dealt with this before I am a pretty worried. I have been holding his rear end up to help him potty. Since he is not in excruciating pain like Honey was I have hope that we can get a cart if need be.

Thanks for the info. Ill join the other forum too.

AmandaL

We did a laser treatment for 2 weeks and called it quits. He wasnt showing any signs of improving So the vet loaned us the cart until we get our own. He is peeing and pooping on his own outside now. For the first week he wasnt going outside at all. Hes back to his normal self with the exception of his back legs. He seems happy in his cart so it makes me happy.

Penny

**Please realize that he needs 8 weeks of crate rest.** Georgia didn't show any improvement until about 5 weeks, I thought I was seeing a bit of strength coming back but I was still holding her up with a spare leash to go potty. Please continue the crate rest and do *not* let him out for recreation. He should not be using a cart and going around. You may very well be doing more damage and preventing a full recovery.

Penny

Oh good! Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping for the best outcome! Please keep us posted on her progress, and post pics when you can.

GJBain

Like I said in some of my other posts, as a kid we had a Dachshund that hurt her back at age 10ish I am guessing. The problem was she was a standard that was over weight. She miraculously made a full recovery with us dumb kids carrying her outside and keeping her from jumping, stairs, etc. We did not crate her. She took care of herself laying still. Like I said I was just a dumb kid and which I knew then what I know now about Dachshunds. Our last Dachshund was a miniature that we kept her weight in check and tried to keep her from jumping, etc. which is very hard to do.

I do have a question for the experts..... If I were ever to get another Dachshund is there anyway possible to know if they will have a back problem? My guess is no but I figured I would ask anyway.

Penny

Not that I'm an expert, but breeders have told me that some are up and down stairs and such and never have a back episode and some folks are very careful with their dogs and they go down. The problem is that they are a dwarf breed and dwarfism causes issues, one being that the discs loose their squeeziness.

I've seen breeders brag on their websites that their dogs never had a back issues. After watching them a while, they breed their dogs young and 'get rid of them' and bring in new dogs, so they really have no clue what the history is after getting a number of litters out of them.

AmandaL

For the first week we were having to express his bladder and he was not an easy one to do. When we got the cart he started peeing and pooping outside and hasnt gone in his kennel since so that was a relief. He eats and drinks as normal and wants to play with his sqeekers. Recently when taking him out of his cart I hold his rear end up and he walks into his kennel with his front legs. Hes already a lazy dog so he doesnt seem bothered by this new lifestyle.

November 2010 we lost his sister (same parents different litters) to a bad back and she was in severe pain. The meds tore up her insides. At one point she was pooping liquid blood.

Im gonna work with him as long as any pain can be managed and hes a happy dog. My only worry is finding someone that can care for him properly when I go on vacations.

AmandaL

Update of Harley... he has gained his back legs back and can walk again!! Not 100% and still a little wobbly but a huge improvement since July.
Once we got his cart over time he slowly gained his tail wagging back but his back paws would still knuckle over. About a week later his back legs were actually walking in the cart and now he doesnt even want to be in the cart. He is sooo happy and all he wants to do is play with his sis and brother. Last night he went out and peed on his own without his cart. He doesnt give me the time anymore to put him in his cart. I tried to load a video of him playing without his cart but it took forever so heres a picture of him tuckered out after playing.

Attachments

Nell

I wasn't able to access the video but am so pleased he is doing so well!

Well done to both of you.