dog color

mjknable88

My year old doxie is black all over with grey markings. Her papers say she is dapple. When I look up dapple doxies online there are no black dapples. She is truly a dapple!

nola

Are you asking what she is or what her color is? Or just saying what se looks like? She sounds like a B&T dapple, often incorrectly called silver dapples.

Steph

Do you have a photo that you can post of her? If she has no points, she would be classed as a solid black dapple - they do exist, but are rare since solid colors except for red are not in any of the breed standards.

Steph

She is a solid (no tan points) black dapple or if you want the long genetic term, she would be a KSES (K Series Eumelanistic Solid) dapple.

Very pretty girl!! :D

nola

I think I see very muddied tan points (can't tell for sure, as the picture's upside down). Cutie! Is she a full Doxie?:)

mjknable88

What's funny is my aussie I have is a blue merle, when I went to go look at molly she was the same colors and everything thats what drew my to her. When I saw her i thought she was a blue merle until I researched, then I read that if they one mark of dapple there are dapple.

Last edited:

Steph

Merle/ dapple, same gene different name, lol

Yes, if there's even the tiniest hint of dappling, the dog has to be marked as a dapple because when breeding you never want to chance breeding a dapple to a dapple to get double dapples. DD's are beautiful, but I think others have heard me say it before, it's like playing Russian Roulette with a puppy's life. That's why even if breeders are unsure with a red or a cream (their dappling can fade with age) they will register the pup as a dapple just to be safe.

Last edited: