Can we train her to be less dominant/aggressive?

Tallgrl230

My boyfriend's dachshund is creating a problem for us in moving forward together. No joke. She's an adorable, snuggly lover, but she will nip anyone or any other dog who is disturbing her at the wrong time. He and I will probably get engaged someday and I'm hoping we an set some limits with the dog so she doesn't nip my kids (teens) or my big dog. I have a 70 pound catahoula and he cowers around the little thing!
She's about 6 years old and was raised with my bofriend's kids, so it isn't that she isn't used to kids. I love that my bf adores his dog, but I feel he's failed to set limits and let her know he's the boss. We're both concerned she's nipped my kids and me. He dogsits for me when I'm out of town and that little thing bullies my dog, so my dog has to be fed in another room or he won't eat. Also, she urinates and defecates purposely in my house when they visit. She loves me and sleeps under my covers against me when I dogsit her, but she will nip me if I try to move her off the couch!
I've known other dachshunds like this. Is it hopeless because it's the breed, or can we do something so she'll stop nipping and urinating? I'm replacing my carpet soon, but can't really ban her from my house as my bf spends weekends with me sometimes.
Please know I'd NEVER want him to find her a home.

CaseyKC

Just saw this. Not sure what to do about the nipping and that would concern me. I think I would tell her, "That is ba-a-ad" in a deep, low, I mean business voice. Not shouting, but a voice and tone used only for that behavior and you should most likely insist that your boyfriend be on the same page as it will reinforce the fact that you both disapprove of nipping. Maybe she feels entitled to sit on the couch at your house and needs to know this is a privilege. Don't let her on the couch for the next few visits so she will learn that it is not her absolute right to be there. Nipping is a totally unacceptable behavior.

I wonder if the urinating and making solid waste at your house is a sign of jealousy? Maybe she is afraid that you will take her place or her Dad's affection? I would try keeping her on a leash attached to you when she is visiting your house and take her out frequently to do her business. Essentially go through the whole potty training routine, reward outdoor elimination with a high value treat (cheese, small piece of hotdog etc.) and ignore the urine and waste indoors. If you don't react, maybe she will stop doing it indoors and save it for when you take her out and she gets a high value treat.

Lass

Just saw this. Not sure what to do about the nipping and that would concern me. I think I would tell her, "That is ba-a-ad" in a deep, low, I mean business voice. Not shouting, but a voice and tone used only for that behavior and you should most likely insist that your boyfriend be on the same page as it will reinforce the fact that you both disapprove of nipping. Maybe she feels entitled to sit on the couch at your house and needs to know this is a privilege. Don't let her on the couch for the next few visits so she will learn that it is not her absolute right to be there. Nipping is a totally unacceptable behavior.

I wonder if the urinating and making solid waste at your house is a sign of jealousy? Maybe she is afraid that you will take her place or her Dad's affection? I would try keeping her on a leash attached to you when she is visiting your house and take her out frequently to do her business. Essentially go through the whole potty training routine, reward outdoor elimination with a high value treat (cheese, small piece of hotdog etc.) and ignore the urine and waste indoors. If you don't react, maybe she will stop doing it indoors and save it for when you take her out and she gets a high value treat.
Well I have four daschunds and three big dogs and Pepper the five year old male attacks the big dogs so we separated them and now he has started attacking the other daschunds two year Olds, this morning he attacked my husband and bit him while he was trying to get him off one of the two year Olds Marmite, imy heart is breaking as I love him. So I started doing what I did with Mokate our female five year old when she used to nip. I hope it works.it worked for her. A trainer told be to get a container that barocca comes in or Acc 100 put a stone inside and when they nip or bite to tap there nose, with Mokate it took three taps and she never nipped again. I just wonder if this is more serious.