Bringing home a baby soon!

JPsMOM

Hi there! This is my first time on the forum, and I posted to introduce myself earlier but wanted to post on here specifically since it is a puppy that is coming home.
Next week (hopefully) we will be bringing home a new baby boy! They have named him Jasper, and his mother and littermates are rescues. He and about 70 other dogs/puppies were rescued from deplorable conditions at an awful puppy mill. I don't have 100% of the details on him since the rescue is so overwhelmed with getting care for the sick and injured as well as vetting them- apparently pretty much all of them were in bad shape. I have seen a few pictures..heartbreaking beyond words. :(

Anyhow, I know he is a Dachshund, not sure if he is a mini. (My avatar is one of the pics I received of him) I only say that because the pic of his mom looked like one but that could have been the angle of the picture. I have never owned a Dachshund, but I have spent many hours over the past few weeks reading *everything* I can find (all while being fully aware that reading won't fully prepare me for him! :)

I drive a school bus, so my time away from home is very little, and we are headed up on spring break so that is perfect! A whole week with the new furbaby!!

If anyone can guide me to information that they think I might find helpful, I would love it! Other than that, I just HAD to share my excitement!!

Thanks for reading!

Nell

So pleased you are getting a rescue! I have a rescue dachshund cross border terrier, he was dumped at 12 weeks. He is such a sweetheart and the gentlest dog ever!

Your new baby looks lovely, dachshunds are such loyal and clever dogs here's hoping you have many years of fun together.

JPsMOM

Update: Jasper gets to come home on Saturday!!! Which is also my birthday, so a happy birthday for me! Lol I will be sure to post puppy-love pics when he gets here!!

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

I am not very good at this but I use the paper clip attachment in the toolbar of the message box. Hopefully someone else who can add big photos will also help you. Can't wait to see him :)

JPsMOM

I will post more soon, he is doing a lot of sleeping, has an upset tummy. He was being fed one big meal a day at his foster home... Is that common? I thought that was a bad thing to do... He is only 10 weeks old. Wondering if that is why he belly is upset.

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

He is beautiful!!

At ten weeks he should still be on 4 meals a day! he is only a baby and cant possibly thrive on one meal a day, poor lad, I am surprised he looks so well!

They seem to naturally soon cut it down to three and then most adult dachshunds (about 9 - 10 months onwards) have two meals a day. Keep a good eye on the upset tummy, try feeding something fairly bland like chicken or white fish and rice for a bit till it settles down. A little bit of scrambled egg won't harm either. If there is any blood in the poo get him checked at the vet, but as long as he is drinking water everything should settle soon. Hope you get some sleep at night!

JPsMOM

Yeah there was no sleep lol. I think he has worms and that is the belly problem along with that big feeding he was getting. I noticed that there is just a bit of blood in the end of his stools Nell. He was treated a few times already I guess, mom and the litter had them "very badly" when they seized them. I just put some stuff on him last night, an all-in-one treatment. The rescue said if he was still under the weather tomorrow they will have him seen. Same feeding suggestion for this situation or does the worm suspicion change it? Poor guy. I'm a lost Fur Mommy!

Sent via tapatalk

Nell

Some wormers can really upset them, one of mine had a really bad reaction to a wormer the vet gave her, she was violently sick for 24 hours. Keep an eye of the blood if it gets worse definitely check it out. While they are this small they can go downhill so quickly, yeah same feeding routine and hopefully on small and regular meals he will soon get over it.

Good luck with establishing the night time routine, they sure do know how to pull the heart strings lol!

JPsMOM

Boy do they ever!! Cries hysterically in his crate even though he originally chose to sleep there... Put in bed with us where we would like him to be and he wants to dance on our heads and explore the night stands so he is going to fall! We had to go with putting him in the bathroom with his crate to lay in if he chose(open door on the bathroom, just a baby gate) and he cried All. Night. Long. Acted like we had been away for 100 years when I got him in the morning! =) probably felt like it to the poor guy!

Sent via tapatalk