Blankets in the crate are they safe?

HERSHELtheHUND

At 5 months Hershel hasn't showed much interest in blankets or going "under" cloths of any sort. Other than biting, chewing and ripping them to shreds.

I keep reading that dachshunds love to dig and they pretty much bury themselves under anything they can.

Should I introduce a blanket in his cage? Right now in his cage he only has his blue pillow. Which he sleeps on. I also keep 2 chew toys in there for when he's home alone (at most 4hrs).

Does your dachshund like blankets? If so, which one does he have?

Here's a picture of Hershel
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364956194.619410.jpg

Ours have anyone they want. :)

We sit down to watch TV and they crawl in our laps. Then they start "digging" on our laps, which is their signal that it is time to put the covers over them. We keep throws nearby just for that reason.

Our dachshunds sleep with us, and can usually be found burrowed deep in the bed covers.

sherlock

Watson has blankets cause he'll tear up anything with stuffing (although he likes to chew holes in his blankets, too...) He has 3 fleece blankets (one is actually just a big piece of fleece cloth, unfinished edges.) He digs and nests them several times a day!

It's also much easier to wash, cause I can just throw them in the washer.

BarbC

Both ours like to get under blankets but Mac rarely tunnels. He wants you to cover him! Spoiled! He will grunt at me if I have a quilt.. in fact, we keep a couple of quilts on back of the couch and he will get on it and look at them and whine or grunt. Both ours also like to tunnel behind pillows.. throw pillows on couch and sleeping pillows on the beds.

One of the dachs I had growing up would get on the bed and tunnel under the sheets even when it was fully made.. and he could do it without making a mess... you just saw his little tunnel. It was hilarious!

Barb C.

BarbC

Mac and Mia have fleece blankets too. Mac got into something with stuffing when he was 6 months old and ended up having surgery. We almost lost him. It was gut wrenching and costly! So no more stuffed things. We have 4 fleece blankets and create a cushy bed with them. They will get underthem if it is really cold, but usually sleep on top. This is only at night and when we have to leave them alone in the day. They do not sleep with us. Mia could and she would be wonderful.. but Mac would wake us up at all hours of the night barking at strange noises or wanting to play. So they sleep in their own room... for now. :) I grew up with a dachshund sleeping with me.. they can take over a bed! LOL!

Barb C

jax's_mommy

I myself think a blanket would be fine.

I know Jax loves to bury himself in blankets all the time. Except in his kennel, he wont use them in there. I've tried all different type of things, from a small fleece, a old towel and anything other thing that would work. He refused to use them in there. So I eventually took them out. Its the only place he will sleep without being on anything.

SSG.House

Eli loves sleeping under the blankets. He sleeps in my bed, he presses himself against my leg.....if I move or shift and break contact he grunts and scoots closer. He's a love bug, and will attack my face with kisses and nudges.

He has a few puppy fleece blankets.....my mom used to breed new foundlands, so she had a stockpile of them. He has his travel blanket, which is the first thing I wrapped him up in when i picked him up from the breeder.....