Best food for sensitive skin

crystall80

My older girl is turning 9 this month, and she has incredibly sensitive skin. No fleas (she is allergic and scratches her hair out if she ever bit by one :() I have tried several different foods, to see if that helps her allergies since she is always scratching her fur off. I am thinking of changing to blue buffalo, any one have a better food for very sensitive skin? I bathe her regularly (not too much) and give her fish oil, but hasn't done much for the scratching :(

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
My older girl is turning 9 this month, and she has incredibly sensitive skin. No fleas (she is allergic and scratches her hair out if she ever bit by one :() I have tried several different foods, to see if that helps her allergies since she is always scratching her fur off. I am thinking of changing to blue buffalo, any one have a better food for very sensitive skin? I bathe her regularly (not too much) and give her fish oil, but hasn't done much for the scratching :(
Mouse has skin issues too. She is allergic to metal, but something else isn't quite right.

FYI When you give salmon oil, you should also be giving vitamin E. as salmon oil depletes vitamin E. I have Primrose oil from with vitamin E for that, but we just got it, so I dont know if it;ll help. Primrose oil is an immune system booster as well.

If I were you, I would consider changing her to a limited ingredient, grain free, single unique protein. No chicken, Beef or pork, no grain. Natural Balance LID is good food to start. They have fish and sweet potato, Bison and sweet potato, and venison and potato. You may want to start with one of those.

ktshickle

DoxieLover
I feed Frankie "Blue Buffalo small breed". He loves it and hasnt had any scratching issues since he was a puppy. He used to have dandruff. I also use a doggy leave in conditioner spray. I'm not sure which one helped more though.

Steph

Any diet that is grain free, and has an exotic protein - venison, bison, rabbit, duck, fish, kangaroo (if you can find it) are great for dogs that have allergies/ skin issues. Many sensitivities/ allergies are linked to grains and both beef and chicken (unless the chicken is organic) It wouldn't hurt your other girl to switch to the same diet as your older girl. I find that since I made the switch to a grain free, exotic protein (my guys love venison and bison) diet, my guys have softer, shinier coats and no dry itchy skin.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with or if you have any other questions.

crystall80

Thanks guys :)
I will be going out today to get some new good for them. Cookie has never had any skin issues or allergies which is good, but will change her food as well. Will be better for them both :)

sueb45

I am new to this forum but this thread caught my eye. I have a shih tzu that I rescued about 3 yrs ago. He has bad food alergies. I feed him Natural Balance and also the vet told me I could give him 1/2 a Zertec (sp) tablet every day. I have done that and I think it helps with the itchyness. Nothing more miserable than watching your furbaby itch so bad!

crystall80

I switched her to blue freedom, it has helped a lot. Her fur is growing back in places she hasn't had fur in years. Scratching is almost all gone also, I think what is left of it is just habit. I also switched shampoo this week for her, and only blue buffalo treats now. All of our dogs have also been switched over to blue freedom even though they have no skin issues, it is better for them and easier on us :)