Anyone think they can tell me what kind of coat this puppy will have?

Sasygrl

This pup is only 18 days old, she's the one I've picked to come home with me once she's old enough. Mom is short haired dachshund, father is long haired dachshund both minis.

Attachments

JPsMOM

I see lots of pups there lol. Could be either on the coat. My long haired guy came from a whole litter of smooth coats. I couldn't tell he was going to be long hair until he was a month or two old, and his ear hair looked "wavy" rather than completely smooth. That was my only indicator.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

JPsMOM

Hmmmm....uneducated guess here but maybe that's a curl on the elbow? So maybe a long hair? Just a guess.

Peanut

I would also have to go with smooth. With long haired dachshunds, they tend to get a bit of wave on their ears first, from what I've noticed.

BelowHylan

The attached pic is of mine, who is a long haired, when she was about 7 weeks. So although initially I was going to say this one will be a smooth for sure, after comparing the pics I'm not 100%.

Oh, and BTW, that is such a cute puppy!!!

Attachments

WaterMarked

what about the grandparents?

smooth is dominant to long so if the smooth parent carried theres a good chance it could be a long hair if there are curls.

i picked my LH girl up at 4 months and she only really had it on her ears and a perm on her tail.

her sire was a smooth and HIS sire was a long hair and dam was a smooth.

he was bred to a long hair female (my girls dam) and the entire litter was long hair pups.

at 8 months and a few days