Any ideas?

My two year old dog, was attacked when she was just a puppy.(we have 2 doxies) Now when a strange dog comes by she cry's like she is being bit and is afraid. How do I break her of this?

squish13

I'm not an expert, but I know Cesar does it on a reward type basis...

So bring another unfamiliar dog out that you know won't hurt her, at a bit of a distance and before she starts crying, give her a treat or favourite toy as the dog is nearby. Then she associates seeing the dog with an "okay" or "happy" time.

MatthewLP

Sorry to hear this. always a traumatic event when somthing like this happens.

If you would could you give me more information. How old was you doxie when bitten? 2 3 or 4 months old? Doxies go though a fearful stage when they are 4 months or so of age. There whole world is comming into focus around this time and sight, smells, and experences can imprinted on them.

Is there any submissive Pee'ing involved, or does she role on her back while crying? any tail tucking and running?

Confidence or lack there of is going to be the problem. Can it be restored?.....absolutely. However confidence, reassurance and trust are not easily gained once taken. Retraining back from being a puppy is where you need to start again. push with kind, secure and safe 'exposure'. She has to understand she has too and then wants too.

If she is able to be on a leash around other dogs, Walk up to where she is close enough to feel "slight anxiety" or what I call safe exposure but not scared or fightened. Make her sit or just stand their for awhile to where she is calm, relaxed and at ease. Walk away and try the exposure again. Should you get to close where she panics, turn the dog around and walk away. Giver her confidence by always saying good girl. When calm and relaxed.... try again.

Simple Exposure is what's needed here. Try and try again. She needs to feel confortable and confidence that nothing is going to happen. Always praise like its the best thing she has ever done. "courage" is always built by confidence.

Give your doxie plenty of time to sit or stand their, get closer if you can by more added exposure. But that moment you feel tension or anxiety....stop and wait untill she is calm and at ease then a little closer if you can. If not and she freaks out. walk away wait until she is calm and try again.

Its all about Controled safe exposure.

Matthew

Hi thank you to all that has commented. She was 3 months old when this happened. And when happens she is on a leash walking along side of our other dog, and when strange dog comes around, she first barks then she screams and cries, tucking her tail like is afraid. I think the dog attack has traumatized her. I like the treat idea. Gonna try it, will keep you posted.Thank you.

vizzla

I went to a really usefull cours with Alf.
The goal is for him to tell me when other dogs or people are nearby - by him comming to me and wait for a treat instead of launching at the dogs.

The method is in for steps: (Start from a long distanse where the dog can handle just to look at another dog, if the screaming begins you are to close)
1= rewarding the dog when he is LOOKING at another dog
2) rewarding when the dog is LOOKING at another dog, and turns to me for a treat
3) rewarding the dog when hes LOOKING, TURNING and COMES to me (two steps)
4) rewarding when the dog, from a distance, LOOKING, TURNING and COMING to me!

The other dogs made to nr 2 in todays class.
Alf, on the other hand, had much more trubble with other dogs than I knew. He is just scared of other dogs, and when he has been stairring at me and waiting for a treat - wich I interpered as him being attentiv to me - was him beeing to scared to even look at another dog. So we have to be on level 1 for quite some time.

We have to make him feel good about LOOKING at another dog, before we can expect anything else. Ive got a big "aha" moment today!